Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NBA?

Go down 
+9
Fat Freddy
nevermore
bassman
Joe
scottmitchell74
metalinmyveins
exact33
tohostudios
Wargod
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:42 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Not a fan of the NBA, but I will watch NCAA when my school is playing - ODU!!!!!!!!

Well, they should definitely be in it this year. I watched the Monarchs yesterday in the "Bracket Buster" game against Cleveland. St, and damn did they dominate on the boards. The Colonial has always been a good conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get three teams in the field this year; George Mason, O.D.U., and Drexel. I picked the Monarchs against Notre Dame last year in the NCAA tournament, because of that I was off to a good start with my picks. I think I won my first 6-7 games, and then it was all down hill after that.

Nice!!!!! I think we'll get in this year, probably by winning the CAA. I'm happy with the team this year - hopefully we can win a few in the big dance!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 am

So, on the subject of the NBA, I caught the all-star game last night. Wow, what a snoozefest. It was basically a slam dunk contest. lame.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am

thejokeriv wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Not a fan of the NBA, but I will watch NCAA when my school is playing - ODU!!!!!!!!

Well, they should definitely be in it this year. I watched the Monarchs yesterday in the "Bracket Buster" game against Cleveland. St, and damn did they dominate on the boards. The Colonial has always been a good conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get three teams in the field this year; George Mason, O.D.U., and Drexel. I picked the Monarchs against Notre Dame last year in the NCAA tournament, because of that I was off to a good start with my picks. I think I won my first 6-7 games, and then it was all down hill after that.

Nice!!!!! I think we'll get in this year, probably by winning the CAA. I'm happy with the team this year - hopefully we can win a few in the big dance!

George Mason will most likely win the regular season title, as they are leading it right now, and have the longest win streak in the nation at 13. With that being said, O.D.U. has an RPI around 22 and a strength of schedule of 63, which are both good enough to get you in the field. They are 22-6 (12-4 in the conference) with only one loss outside of the top 50 in Delaware. Other losses are to Georgetown (only by 3), at Missouri (NCAA team), at George Mason (NCAA team) at Drexel (possible NCAA team who beat Louisville on their home court earlier in the year), and at VCU (likely NCAA team). As long as ODU doesn't slip up in the 1st round of the CAA tournament this year, they should be okay. They have an impressive resume.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 am

Joe wrote:
So, on the subject of the NBA, I caught the all-star game last night. Wow, what a snoozefest. It was basically a slam dunk contest. lame.

I don't even bother watching more than five minutes of that crap. In the old days, they used to actually treat this somewhat like a real game, nowadays players stand around and watch alley oops being thrown down. It's stupid and a total waste of money to even attend that garbage. I haven't decided what is worse, the Pro Bowl or the NBA All Star game.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm

I missed the entire all star weekend but it doesnt bother me. I dont follow the NBA like I used to when I collected cards. The last 6 or 7 years I watch probably 3 total hours all season but I do catch most of the playoff games, especially the deeper it goes into the playoffs. I watch every game of the Finals, never miss it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

George Mason will most likely win the regular season title, as they are leading it right now, and have the longest win streak in the nation at 13. With that being said, O.D.U. has an RPI around 22 and a strength of schedule of 63, which are both good enough to get you in the field. They are 22-6 (12-4 in the conference) with only one loss outside of the top 50 in Delaware. Other losses are to Georgetown (only by 3), at Missouri (NCAA team), at George Mason (NCAA team) at Drexel (possible NCAA team who beat Louisville on their home court earlier in the year), and at VCU (likely NCAA team). As long as ODU doesn't slip up in the 1st round of the CAA tournament this year, they should be okay. They have an impressive resume.

go Delaware Razz

exact33
The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Joe wrote:

I don't even bother watching more than five minutes of that crap. In the old days, they used to actually treat this somewhat like a real game, nowadays players stand around and watch alley oops being thrown down. It's stupid and a total waste of money to even attend that garbage. I haven't decided what is worse, the Pro Bowl or the NBA All Star game.

the NHL really got a leg up on the rest of the all-star contests. It was interesting to watch and the draft was a cool idea.

sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 pm

I like the NBA but I think it has a lot of problems as mentioned. If you want a great illustration of how wrongfully David Stern has managed the league, look at how a few years ago they extended the first round of the playoffs from 5 games to 7. Why? Because extending the series makes it less likely that high-seeded teams will lose in an upset. Same reason why in the early 80s they extended the first round from 3 games to 5 after the Houston Rockets knocked out the Lakers despite having a losing record - they just couldn't stand that Magic and Larry wouldn't have a chance to go at it in the finals. The short-sighted tv ratings hunger has really screwed up the league.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm

sheets wrote:
I like the NBA but I think it has a lot of problems as mentioned. If you want a great illustration of how wrongfully David Stern has managed the league, look at how a few years ago they extended the first round of the playoffs from 5 games to 7. Why? Because extending the series makes it less likely that high-seeded teams will lose in an upset. Same reason why in the early 80s they extended the first round from 3 games to 5 after the Houston Rockets knocked out the Lakers despite having a losing record - they just couldn't stand that Magic and Larry wouldn't have a chance to go at it in the finals. The short-sighted tv ratings hunger has really screwed up the league.

that and having a star focused league. I know it brings interest to certain teams but the emphasis has really created a have and have not league where most teams will never get to competitive status.

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:46 am

For what it's worth, the most recent All-Star weekened (at least the dunk contest) drew its biggest ratings ever. We aren't the NBA's demographic. Kids are. Our generation pines for Bird, Nique, Magic and the Dr. and we're missing good ball that's happening right now. I went through my phase of that a few years ago, but have since returned to a sport I really enjoy.

I've also noticed that as an adult with a job and kids I'm more picky with my free time so I pick and choose NBA contests based on match ups or interesting story lines (Kobe -vs- Lebron, the Heat -vs- the Celtics or Cavs) and that keeps things interesting.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:45 am

I remember reading before the season that NBA TV subscriptions had hit an all-time high, with most of it credited to Lebron's backstabbing of Cleveland to join Miami. People might hate Lebron now, but he's a guy they love to hate.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
For what it's worth, the most recent All-Star weekened (at least the dunk contest) drew its biggest ratings ever. We aren't the NBA's demographic. Kids are. Our generation pines for Bird, Nique, Magic and the Dr. and we're missing good ball that's happening right now. I went through my phase of that a few years ago, but have since returned to a sport I really enjoy.

I've also noticed that as an adult with a job and kids I'm more picky with my free time so I pick and choose NBA contests based on match ups or interesting story lines (Kobe -vs- Lebron, the Heat -vs- the Celtics or Cavs) and that keeps things interesting.

I think the league has a huge problem though if only 5 teams or so are going to have the potential to win long term. It relegates the rest of the league to developmental teams.

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm

I pine for the old days when players knew the fundamentals of the game. Watch the Spurs, they aren't all about trying to dunk, they run plays and if it doesn't happen they reset and run another one. If more teams played like that i'd watch a lot more. It does feel like there will be about 6 good teams and the rest will watch from the outside.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I pine for the old days when players knew the fundamentals of the game. Watch the Spurs, they aren't all about trying to dunk, they run plays and if it doesn't happen they reset and run another one. If more teams played like that i'd watch a lot more. It does feel like there will be about 6 good teams and the rest will watch from the outside.

The other thing I like about the Spurs and the players that they've had on this team, nobody ever has a bad word to say about Popovich. As a coach, he's held in high esteem. You never hear about coach/player rumblings. It's like the one city where a successful NBA city has been prima donna free. In today's NBA that is refreshing. How many players continue to throw their coaches under the bus? It's nice to see that there's an equal amount of respect given from both sides.
Back to top Go down

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Very true and I think they've worked hard to cultivate that image with the players they bring in.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

fundamentally sound basketball is fun to watch.

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm

It makes it seem like a cohesive unit of guys all working together. I watch the Lakers or the Heat and it feels like the rest of the guys are waiting for Kobe and Lebron to do something and sort of try to fit in on the side.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:49 pm

I lost interest in the NBA when the Bullets became the Wizards, the Webber/Howard deal not living up to what it should've been, and finally MJ's mismanagement. I've also come to realize I love tough defense - something almost non-existent in the recent NBA I've watched. The games seem more like exhibitions to me rather than competitions. But hey, I can totally see why people love it. Works as entertainment. My mom who doesn't even watch sports knows all about the Lebron drama.

I'm still a big college fan though. Outside of some of the NBA things creeping into the game (the refereeing and the ridiculous number of steps they allow) I'll always be a fan. I love to watch the smaller schools games on Espn/CBS college channels, and cheering for whoever Duke is playing. And for me, there is nothing in sports that compares to March Madness.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 pm

jstate wrote:

I'm still a big college fan though. Outside of some of the NBA things creeping into the game (the refereeing and the ridiculous number of steps they allow) I'll always be a fan. I love to watch the smaller schools games on Espn/CBS college channels, and cheering for whoever Duke is playing. And for me, there is nothing in sports that compares to March Madness.

Us Dookies appreciate the respect! March Madness is my favorite of all the big events.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 6:37 pm

I love it!

Both Texas and Georgetown lost today.

Unfortunately, so did Villanova. 'Nova has really hit the skids lately.

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Dookie is right, I get sick of Duke.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 7:07 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Dookie is right, I get sick of Duke.

not me. I enjoy watching them - although to be completely honest I was shocked they won it all last year.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Cool! My hated Vols just lost too. "Good ol' Rocky Top...." lol!

The King
exact33

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Cool! My hated Vols just lost too. "Good ol' Rocky Top...." lol!

Pearl is not having the best of years...

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

And the curse of being #1 strikes again!

Duke goes down at Va Tech. Third straight week #1 got knocked off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NBA? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA?   NBA? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NBA?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: