Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book Collection

Go down 
+15
Leatherface
bassman
DeathCult
mlotek
ultmetal
chewie
Eyesore
troublemagnet
Shiney
stevegarveyfan
EvyMetal
manny
Fat Freddy
Stender
GrandNational
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 am

Any of you guys collect books? I have a small collection of some 300 or so books, but this guys collection is insane:

Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 am

Wow thats awesome. I dont really collect books because when I pick up something I think is really cool I usually pass it on to a friend or something. I do exchanges with my friend annie every month or so just sending big ass packages of books to eachother..haha.

That leonard cat even kinda looked like vonnegut. Cats cradle is f*cking awesome.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:40 am

I wouldn't say I "collect" books as much as I simply "accumulate" them. I pick'em up at yard sales, off the library sale table, the local thrift shop, etc., etc. So I have a shelf full of books in the dining room, a bunch more on the shelf in my bedroom, some more in boxes in the closet, etc., etc. When I'm finished reading something, it goes into yet another box, where eventually it will be passed on to someone else via donation to the library, yard sale, etc., etc.

Since we had kids though, I hardly ever have time to read anymore, so Lord only knows when I'll get to some of them. I used to go through a couple of books a month, now I'm lucky if I get through one every three months. I'm usually "reading" at least two books at one time. Right now on my night table I have "The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle (best...baseball book...ever) and Dave Mustaine's autobiography (now reading for the 3rd time).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 am

Like Freddy I do not collect books I have seem to accumulated them, and usually (except for music books and few American history books) give them away to the library once I am finished reading them, since I have had children my time for reading is very limited.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Most of the books I read I pass on to other friends or leave 'em at the book exchanges in some coffee shops/libraries. However, I have all of the Tolkien books, Vonnegut books, and Ray Bradbury books, which I would rather not part with. Most of them are the original prints.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Most of the books I read I pass on to other friends or leave 'em at the book exchanges in some coffee shops/libraries. However, I have all of the Tolkien books, Vonnegut books, and Ray Bradbury books, which I would rather not part with. Most of them are the original prints.

Whats your fav vonnegut book evy? You dig bukowski or burroughs at all?
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm

I collect baseball books--biographies, anecdotes, anthologies, etc. That's about it.

I have most of a bookcase taken up wid 'em.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm

I have a metric tonnage of books.

Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I collect metal and conspiracy books
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Stender wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

I dig all three of them myself, my favorite is Jack Kerouac, I am sure Stender you are shocked by this knowledge
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:07 pm

manny wrote:
Stender wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

I dig all three of them myself, my favorite is Jack Kerouac, I am sure Stender you are shocked by this knowledge

Nah Ive always known you to be well cultured manny..ha. Smile I like kerouac alot too, im reading on the road for the second time and also steinbecks travels with charley right now. Just finished Terence mckennas "food of the gods" which was awesome. Travels with charley and alot of the beat poet stuff on vagabonding is getting me in the mood for hitchhiking some more, I think im going to hitchhike oregon and washington this summer and next year a friend and I are going to go from the west coast to the east coast. Im way excited.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 pm

'Travels with Charley' is a great book and definitely a time capsule of an era and America that does not exist anymore, I never read Terence McKenna so I will have to check him out.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:16 pm

manny wrote:
'Travels with Charley' is a great book and definitely a time capsule of an era and America that does not exist anymore, I never read Terence McKenna so I will have to check him out.

mckenna is really cosmic, alot of his work has to do with boundry disaillusion and psycadelics. Really smart dude in my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:14 am

I collect certain authors, but that's it. Nothing crazy. I probably have about 500 books, I guess.

EDIT: Actually, these pics kind of show everything.

Book Collection 63576_1744807421140_1267402149_31978922_2417014_n

Book Collection 155620_1744807581144_1267402149_31978924_3208058_n

Book Collection 68273_1744807701147_1267402149_31978925_5493997_n

Book Collection 155128_1744807781149_1267402149_31978926_3117005_n

Book Collection 156952_1744807861151_1267402149_31978927_1773266_n

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:40 pm

I used heavily read Fantasy/Science Fiction Books(Tolkien, Herbert, Eddings, Kurtz, Zelazny, McCaffrey, Asimov, Donaldson) moved onto Horror(Poe, King, Koonts) and now I read a lot of nonfiction(mostly WWII stuff - Pacific Theater) and early stuff(Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard). Also a book of Icelander Sagas.

Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 pm

You know, this morning I was thinking why Eyesore hadn't chimed in yet, and then I see his books. Thanks for sharing Eyesore, I know you're an avid reader.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:17 pm

chewie wrote:
I used heavily read Fantasy/Science Fiction Books(Tolkien, Herbert, Eddings, Kurtz, Zelazny, McCaffrey, Asimov, Donaldson) moved onto Horror(Poe, King, Koonts) and now I read a lot of nonfiction(mostly WWII stuff - Pacific Theater) and early stuff(Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard). Also a book of Icelander Sagas.

If you still find time for sci fi bro you have to check out this book by alfred bester called "the stars my destination". The first chapter of that book just sets the stage as the main character is stranded on this blown up derelict space ship and this cruise liner passes by but dosnt pick him up when he tries to make SOS signs to them. After that hes just like "oh f*ck YOU" and the rest of the book is about him tracking down everyone on board and killing them but with a bunch of other junk happening along the way. cool
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I have a bunch of books. Mostly I read either rock biographies or books on theology.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Stender wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

I'm not hip enough to read Bukowski. Favorite KV book is Breakfast Of Champions.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have a bunch of books. Mostly I read either rock biographies or books on theology.

Pretty much the same here.
If I'm curious about a tv/ movie/ music personality, I always go to the public library.
For theology, half the time I will buy the book.

Reading Mustaine's book, than the James Cagney Authorized Biography.

Used to read a lot of science fiction, like Isaac Asimov, & 50s/60s classics, and had a collection of some monthly magazine with various authors. It was like a digest size that Archie Comics are now, but packed.
Switched to horror during high school, the more I listened to thrash and death metal, then sold it all off and became interested in actual history & religions.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Stender wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

I'm not hip enough to read Bukowski. Favorite KV book is Breakfast Of Champions.

haha..I thought you had to be a loser to read buk. Smile
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Wow, me and Eyesore read alot of the same books.

I don't collect too many except for certain authors as well. I have a few King first editions, and all the original Arkham House collections of H.P. Lovecraft's stories which are still the most important to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:16 am

I am an avid reader, mostly fantasy and sci-fi. I like Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Anne McCaffery, Tolkien, Dennis McKiernan, and so on. I probably have 400 to 500 books at any given time, I read 'em and trade 'em at the local used bookstore so my collection is always rotating. I keep some series by certain authors just because I know I will re-read them over and over.

Last edited by bassman on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 am

I've got more magazines than books, but I do have a few. Most are either pro wrestling or horror movie related.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Stender wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:
Stender wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

haha..I thought you had to be a loser to read buk. Smile

Around here, if you're not wearing Toms, with cut off jean shorts, and smoking an American Spirit, you don't read Buk/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book Collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Collection   Book Collection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Collection
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Collector's Corner-
Jump to: