Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mountain/Leslie West

Go down 
+11
manny
XYZ
the sentinel
criss3o
KissinMaiden
Wargod
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
spiritoradio
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
15 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Mountain/Leslie West Empty
PostSubject: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 am

Leslie West was a guest on the Howard Stern Show yesterday promoting Mountain's new album, Masters of War. The 1st single has Ozzy on vocals and sounded pretty cool, which got me looking into Mountain's/Leslie West's back catalog. I was surprised to see that West has put out quite a few solo albums, a few of which are blues albums, akin to Gary Moore's blues period.

Is anyone familiar with Mountain (aside from Mississippi Queen) or West's solo works? Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 am

I saw Mountain in concert in the 80's opening for Triumph. Great show. When they played Mississippi Queen they brought this giant cowbell out on the stage.

As for hearing their music, I have heard some of it but I don't really own anything by them anymore. It's been a long while.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 pm

The only album I have is The Best of Mountain (2003) with bonus tracks. It is fantastic and it's cheap and readily available. As an introduction to the band I suggest this album.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Ya, we kind of bought the criticism that they were just the poor man's Cream at the time; but I think their music holds up better now than many of those ancient bands. They are one of the first vintage bands that I'd recommend to fans of retro-rock.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:10 am

The two essential Mountain albums to have is:

Mountain - Climbing! (1970)
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride (1971)

Heavier than you think, as heavy as say Black Sabbath's first 2 albums just not as dark. Get them on vinyl and wonder at the brilliant cover paintings. Sammy Hagar called Mountain the first American Heavy Metal band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 4:18 pm

I might invest in their Greatest Hits. I'm a little more intrigued in the Leslie West blues stuff, but I guess a hits disk is as good as any place to start.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 10:07 am

Some of Mountains/Leslie West later material is blues orientated good stuff if you like blues? I DO!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:29 am

Bump. Mountain/Leslie West 706602

Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 1:14 am

rattpoison wrote:

Heavier than you think, as heavy as say Black Sabbath's first 2 albums just not as dark.

this has tickled my fancy, i'll check em out when I have the chance.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2007 8:27 am

Leslie West has put out 3 Blues albums in the 2000's! Blues To Die For 2003, Got Blooze 2005 and Blue Me 2006! All are on Shrapnel Records' Blue Bureau International imprint! They are mostly his heavy take on old Blues standards and some 60's and 70's Blues and Rock covers and all are EXCELLANT!!!
My personal fav is Blues To Die For but a good way to decide where to start would be to check the track lists as any Blues fan will recognise many of these songs and pick a fav set list! I've heard there maybe a 4th one out but I do not know/have not heard it yet! I will check into it and get back to you! I hope that helps!!!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2007 6:28 pm

When I was putting myself through college I worked at my cousin's gas station. There was a dude workin' there named Tom who said he saw mountain in concert in the 70's and someone lit Leslie West's beard on fire when he was high fivin' the crowd. I guess he had one of those Billy Gibbons/Dusty Hill beards. Pretty mean if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 am

criss3o wrote:
Leslie West has put out 3 Blues albums in the 2000's! Blues To Die For 2003, Got Blooze 2005 and Blue Me 2006! All are on Shrapnel Records' Blue Bureau International imprint! They are mostly his heavy take on old Blues standards and some 60's and 70's Blues and Rock covers and all are EXCELLANT!!!
My personal fav is Blues To Die For but a good way to decide where to start would be to check the track lists as any Blues fan will recognise many of these songs and pick a fav set list! I've heard there maybe a 4th one out but I do not know/have not heard it yet! I will check into it and get back to you! I hope that helps!!!

That helps allot!! Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 3:52 am

You are very welcome MetalGuy!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 5:56 pm

Picked up Mountain's Greatest Hits over the weekend. Pretty cool stuff. Nice thick guitar sound.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 am

Right On Bro!!!

Check out Leslie's Blues albums and let me know what you think! OK?!!!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 am

I've only got a handful of tracks, but they are some great pieces of music.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I was glad to see a thread on Mountain, Leslie West was one of Randy Rhoads biggest influences along with Glenn Buxton (of Alice Cooper) and Bill Nelson (of Be Bop Deluxe). One of the heaviest band of the late 60's/early 70's with Cream producer Felix Pappalardi on bass/co songwriter and co-lead vocalist. Pure 100% American metal who played so loud it turned pure air into cottage cheese. Made vh1 list of greatest hard rock bands at #98 which put them below Meatloaf . Shows that vh1 are almost as clueless as the aging hippies at Rolling Stone. Bonus points for the proper use of a cowbell at the intro to " Mississpi Queeen."'
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 6:25 pm

I got my first gig with a band (age 12) cause I could play "mississippi queen" and "hair of the dog" on the drums. In reality, the singer does cow bell on "hair" which gives the drummer that hand to do those killer accents on the ride, the
thing that gives that song the drive right out the gate.

I saw Leslie last year playing with Elvin Bishop of all people. Some sweet traditional and electric blues by both acts. I was only one of about tewnty folks in the place. A lil town in the foothills between sacramento and reno.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 7:53 pm

I've got Climbing!. Definately worth picking up. RP's right, alot heavier than you'd expect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 10:09 pm

manny wrote:
I was glad to see a thread on Mountain, Leslie West was one of Randy Rhoads biggest influences along with Glenn Buxton (of Alice Cooper) and Bill Nelson (of Be Bop Deluxe).

Throw in Mick Ronson as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:24 pm

criss3o wrote:

I picked up Leslie West's Collection, which I'm guessing is a best of/compilation of the blues albums he's released. Found it in a used bin for $4 bucks. It's all blues standards and some oldies, although his version of Crossroads is definatley a tribute to Cream. Pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing. He's not really re-inventing the wheel here, just putting his own spin on some classics. The man plays a mean gee-tar.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:59 pm

Check out Nantucket Sleighride,Climbing!,Flowers Of Evil,The Great Fatsby and all 3 West,Bruce, and Laing albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 am

Just got my first Mountain record today at Walmart. It's their newest one "Masters of War". It is really good and heavy in a retro 70's way. I only knew their (Missisippi Queen) song prior to getting this. Ozzy sings a few lines on the title track and Warren Haynes of Govn't Mule plays some slide guitar on a track. I'm gonna look into their back catalog now.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am

rattpoison wrote:

Heavier than you think, as heavy as say Black Sabbath's first 2 albums just not as dark. Get them on vinyl and wonder at the brilliant cover paintings. Sammy Hagar called Mountain the first American Heavy Metal band.

TZ check these albums next, rattpoison is right on target recommending these two essential Mountain releases.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 1:42 am

manny wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

TZ check these albums next, rattpoison is right on target recommending these two essential Mountain releases.

Will do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mountain/Leslie West   Mountain/Leslie West Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mountain/Leslie West
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: