Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Doors

Go down 
+12
GrandNational
KissinMaiden
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
candlemass
Wargod
MetalGuy71
INVADERS
SAHB Healer
journeyman
ultmetal
spiritoradio
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Anyone enjoy the poetic rock of The Doors? If so which are your faves. albums and or songs.

Fave. Album(right now): The Soft Parade

Fave. Track(s): Break On Through, Five to One, Touch Me, Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog, WASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat), The End, When the Musics Over...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 11:28 pm

ABSOLUTELY! Love the Doors. Probably my second favorite 60's band, just
behind Jimi Hendrix. Morrison had such a cool voice. I also dug their
long jams.

Favorite album: Strange Days

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 am

Yeah, love the Doors. I have the In Concert cd and listen to that all the time. I read the book Nobody gets out of here alive while in jr high and ever since I've been hooked.

need to get some more of their releases.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:08 am

My fave is also the Soft Parade, mostly because some of their other more popular albums got turned into noise pollution by classic rock radio. Soft Parade, other than "Touch Me', remains fairly fresh saturation wise.
My favorite piece by them is the "Lizard King" suite, off thier live album.
I always counted the Doors as having a place in the evolution of metal, despite the fact that they wern't very heavy soundwise. Morrison was the prototypical rock star, image wise. And the band's dark imagery also influenced many later bands, including metal bands.
There was a band from 1970 or so, "High Tide". On their album "Sea Shanties"; it sounds like they are making a conscious effort to incorporate a Hendrix type guitar sound into a Doors-like ethic. Kinda weird but interesting. Too Proggy though.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 1:59 pm

i didn't used to like the doors but once i seen the movie, i was instantly turned onto their music . . . never looked back
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 5:07 am

I like that movie a lot also, but it makes Jim Morrison look a lot worse than he was, even the other members of the Doors have publically stated that Oliver Stone overdramitized Jim to make the movie more Hollywood acessible. That being said it is one of the best movies made about a band, IMO. Plus Val Kilmer looks and sounds scarily just like Jim Morrison. Val sang all the songs in the movie.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 10:47 am

I got a little burned out on them in college. I went to art school, so there were many nights, sitting around the water pipes (for novelty purposes only, of course Very Happy ), analyzing the lyrics, listening to the extended jams on beat-up cassettes and crappy stereo systems.

I didn't listen to them for many years later and just recently started getting back into them. Wal-Mart had all of their albums, re-released for the umpteenth time, for under $10 bucks and I started picking them up.

The movie was cool too, although if I had to criticize, it seemed like more of a pic about Jim Morrison more than the Doors. Still cool though.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 am

Yup one of my all time favorites bands, Morrison Hotel, Soft Parade, Live, Live At Hollywood Bowl.

Have Jims portrait as a tattoo on my arm, At one time I had album The Doors on vinyl but like an idiot I sould it all!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 10:36 am

The Doors rock!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Umm.........yea! myspace.com/gothchild44

The Doors Chainburnergraphics-2flat23
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:29 am

I watched The Doors movie this weekend. Man, I hadn't seen that movie in over a decade. What a fantastic movie, albeit very controversial. It's a shame that Morrison allowed drugs to destroy him like he did.

Sad thing is, this weekend I was also reading a biography on Thin Lizzy and was reading how drugs basically destroyed that band, and ultimately Philip Lynott himself. Scott Gorham is lucky to still be alive.

Anyhow, after watching the Doors movie, had to bring in "Waiting for the Sun" today.

ult

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 am

ultmetal wrote:
I watched The Doors movie this weekend. Man, I hadn't seen that movie in over a decade. What a fantastic movie, albeit very controversial. It's a shame that Morrison allowed drugs to destroy him like he did.

Y'know, now that you mention it, I bought the Doors movie on DVD over a year ago and still have not watched it... I really oughta get round to it one of these days...

I saw it in the theatres when I was in college and it was kinda funny, I was not a huge Doors fan at the time (though I went to the movie with a friend who was), and about halfway through the movie I realized... the Doors did not have a bass player!! I had never known that. I even leaned over and asked my buddy "Where's the bass player?" and he said "There is none!" I thought that was kind of odd. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:44 am

It was the drinking that did him in at the end.

Actually, I'm putiing together another tribute band, were waiting on John to pick up a Fender/Rhodes bass organ, that's what Ray played on his left hand, plenty of low end from that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/32-Key-Fender-Rhodes-Piano-Bass-Keyboard-2429-N-R_W0QQitemZ220140094876QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1289QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 am

True. The drinking was excessive and did him in as well. However, the drug use was outrageous as well.

Fat Freddy wrote:
...layer!! I had never known that. I even leaned over and asked my buddy "Where's the bass player?" and he said "There is none!" I thought that was kind of odd. Laughing very hard

They did end up getting a bass player. Ray Neopolitan played bass for a while and I believe on the Morrison Hotel album as well. However, for the most part, Ray Manzarek held up the bass playing on the keys.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:03 am

ultmetal wrote:
True. The drinking was excessive and did him in as well. However, the drug use was outrageous as well.

Fat Freddy wrote:
...layer!! I had never known that. I even leaned over and asked my buddy "Where's the bass player?" and he said "There is none!" I thought that was kind of odd. Laughing very hard

They did end up getting a bass player. Ray Neopolitan played bass for a while and I believe on the Morrison Hotel album as well. However, for the most part, Ray Manzarek held up the bass playing on the keys.

Yea, my buddy explained to me that the Doors used a guy in the studio on occasion but he was never an "official" band member, and that the bulk of the "bass" was played by Ray on the keys. Pretty neat stuff. You learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:18 am

I just picked up Morrison Hotel over the weekend. 'Peace Frog' has such a great groove to it. Love that song.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:49 am

We had the same equipment back in the day, Ray switched to a Gibson Kalamazoo from the Vox after Strange Days, the Vox didn't hold up under touring. I like the sound of the Vox better though, always made me nervous in between sets when John had it opened up w/his bag of tools! No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiS_gYLtOp8
Back to top Go down

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 am

I love the Doors. Have all the studio albums, a couple live ones, and a best of on vinyl. Only have a couple of the CDs but I know the songs so well I haven't felt the need to get them on cds when there is so much more unfamilier territory to explore.

I think it is Cleopatra records that has an electronic Doors tribute that is pretty cool, a favorite cover being Eerie Von (Danzig, Samhain, Rosemarys Babys) doing The Spy.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 8:40 pm

That a pretty sweet group you got going Candlemass. I wanted to at one point start a Misfits tribute band, but couldn't find anyone who wanted to play. How did find people who wanted to be in a tribute band?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:45 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
That a pretty sweet group you got going Candlemass. I wanted to at one point start a Misfits tribute band, but couldn't find anyone who wanted to play. How did find people who wanted to be in a tribute band?

They had the band and were looking for a singer, I passed the auditions. That band, "Mojo Risin'" is still going on, the only original member is the guitarist. The other two members and myself are putting something together w/the guitarist from "Morrison Hotel".......maybe!
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 5:03 am

That's pretty cool. A lot of people scoff at the idea of playing one bands music, but not me I think if you love a band why not go out and dress like them and play thier tunes. It's not like the actual band is going to come through your town or the surrounding towns anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:13 am

I used to see a Doors tribute band called "The Soft Parade" quite often in the early 90s. The singer looked and sounded so much like Morrison that it was almost scary!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 10:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I used to see a Doors tribute band called "The Soft Parade" quite often in the early 90s. The singer looked and sounded so much like Morrison that it was almost scary!

http://www.myspace.com/thesoftparadeband

I talk to Mike on occasion through myspace, he's the organist, I'd like to catch a show before I move to Florida.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 11:25 am

candlemass wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/thesoftparadeband

I talk to Mike on occasion through myspace, he's the organist, I'd like to catch a show before I move to Florida.

Yup, that's them! Didn't even know they were still around. I met Joe Russo a couple of times when I was going to their shows while I was in college; very cool guy.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

The Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doors   The Doors Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 11:35 am

Note the t-shirt I'm wearing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMjFyCljg6w
Back to top Go down