Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread

Go down 
+19
metalinmyveins
exact33
tohostudios
Lari
DeathCult
holydiver97595
stepcousin
stevegarveyfan
Wargod
ultmetal
GrandNational
Joe
chewie
kmorg
thejokeriv
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I am not a huge soccer fan, but I did enjoy watching the American team make a decent showing for awhile in the World Cup.

That right there best describes me too.

IMO the biggest reason why the average American doesn't know or care much for soccer is because our U.S. men's team sucks. When the women's team was doing well the popularity kicked up. If the men ever win a World Cup, I think it would catch on more.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Joe wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:
I am not a huge soccer fan, but I did enjoy watching the American team make a decent showing for awhile in the World Cup.

That right there best describes me too.

IMO the biggest reason why the average American doesn't know or care much for soccer is because our U.S. men's team sucks. When the women's team was doing well the popularity kicked up. If the men ever win a World Cup, I think it would catch on more.

I think too that soccer plays different times/different places. People are used to a season schedule for the most part.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:42 am

Back in the early 90s I used to enjoy watching the FA Premier League and their recap show.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm way late to this discussion...somehow missed it the first time around...

Quote :
I`m on thin historical ice here, but is it possible that americans back in the day wanted to create an alternative to football because it`s strongly assosiated, and comes from Great Britain?

There's a strong case for this, especially for baseball. Baseball comes from Cricket, Town Ball and Rounders, but it's a distinct game that was beloved by Americans in the 1800's largely because it was NOT Cricket (British).

I get deeply into World Cup soccer. I love it. I've been glued to the last two World Cups and will watch anyone against anyone. I learned why Messi is beloved. Dude's incredible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 pm

You seem familiar.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Shocking behavior from Soccer (Futbol) fans....hmmm

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Hundreds-of-angry-Egyptian-fans-invade-pitch-aft?urn=sow-wp546
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Also,

I hate it when I read/hear something along these lines:

Quote :
I used to feel that way until the Williams brothers came on to the scene.

Deserved or not, I instantly dislike someone who throws out such a blanket statement about two fantastic athletes.

I also read between the lines and draw some conclusions about the author of the comment, which I bet are never far from the mark.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 3:09 pm

The ultimate soccer kick.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/colombian-goalkeeper-quinonez-wilson-scores-long-free-kick_n_848794.html?ncid=webmail
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread   The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Just how little does the average American man know about soccer?" thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3