Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your thoughts on Metal Magazines

Go down 
+19
RiseAndFall
JBall_Z
krokus
FlyingV
exact33
jstate
Cadaveron
tul
Leatherface
chewie
Lurideath
mc666
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
manny
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
troublemagnet
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:15 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
I do like BW&BK. I used to subscribe to Decibel and Revolver, but not anymore. Now I buy Classic Rock magazine on an irregular basis and subscribe to the Heaven's Metal Fanzine.

Btw, Immortal is a great band. I received Immortal Live at Wacken 2007 DVD/CD in the mail earlier this week, and finally got to watch it last night. Awesome!

yeah, i also bought that live cd/dvd by IMMORTAL and i like it very much too. I saw them live on that same comeback tour and i was surprised.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 pm

krokus wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
I do like BW&BK. I used to subscribe to Decibel and Revolver, but not anymore. Now I buy Classic Rock magazine on an irregular basis and subscribe to the Heaven's Metal Fanzine.

Btw, Immortal is a great band. I received Immortal Live at Wacken 2007 DVD/CD in the mail earlier this week, and finally got to watch it last night. Awesome!

yeah, i also bought that live cd/dvd by IMMORTAL and i like it very much too. I saw them live on that same comeback tour and i was surprised.

Yeah, they put on a great show. I hope I get the opportunity to see them live some time too.

Plus, I hope the Demonaz solo CD comes out soon.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Lonn Friend lives here in Las Vegas. He's still writing but thats all I know. A friend of mine just lives a few houses away from him.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 1:30 am

The only magazine circulated here is Metal Hammer. Used to love it, but now it's full of articles on alternative and hardcore bands (which i hate).

Still read it though, since there's no other choice...
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 am

I still have a ton of old mags stored away in a closet. Circus, RIP, Metal Edge, Metal Maniacs and Heaven's Metal. I had thought of recycling them all but have yet to part with them.

The only magazine I read regularly is Decibel. I'll occasionally pick up Terrorizer if I see something in it that catches my eye.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 4:09 pm

jstate wrote:
I had this enormous box filled with them (and also every other magazine out there - fangoria, rap mags, wrestling, etc. I was a mag junkie in the 80's). Unfortunately I stupidly left the box in my parents basement which then flooded and ruined the whole lot. And naturally it happened right around the time I started to get nostalgic about my youth and thought "I should really go get that old stuff".

Two music mags I loved were Spin and Billboard. Spin, before they jumped all in on the alternative snobbery train, used to be pretty cool and diverse. It was the one place I could read up on every genre I liked. Billboard was strange - I guess I just was fascinated with radio and radio charts. I did like their page after page of tiny new release reviews. I was probably the only person not in radio who actually had a subscription.

Google books has an (almost) complete run of spin and billboard online (of course, its not the same). Now if theyd only put on some metal mags (heck, i'll even settle for hit parader!).
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 am

Somebody should consider starting a new mag under the label of Heart of Metal.

Just pure metal.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 am

I like many of you use to love these Metal Magazines and wrote for a few and had friends who wrote for others. I miss Liz and Metal Maniacs the most along with Metal Edge and Guitar Player for the practicing musician, I also miss White Throne and Wreathe of Thorns.

I never cared for Circus, in fact I called it Suckus. Hit Parader sucked as well! Rip was Ok.

Of the current Mags I rarely buy one any more, unless it has a band or an article or review or something I really like. I will look thru them about once a month to see if I am missing anything. Of the current magazines I read or look at Terrorizer, Metal Hammer, Decible, AMP, Revolver, Kerrang-(though it sucks now compared to what it use to be!) Heaven's Metal, BW BK, Outburn, Guitar World, and Bass Player,
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 am

325ad wrote:
I like many of you use to love these Metal Magazines and wrote for a few and had friends who wrote for others. I miss Liz and Metal Maniacs the most along with Metal Edge and Guitar Player for the practicing musician, I also miss White Throne and Wreathe of Thorns.

I never cared for Circus, in fact I called it Suckus. Hit Parader sucked as well! Rip was Ok.

Of the current Mags I rarely buy one any more, unless it has a band or an article or review or something I really like. I will look thru them about once a month to see if I am missing anything. Of the current magazines I read or look at Terrorizer, Metal Hammer, Decible, AMP, Revolver, Kerrang-(though it sucks now compared to what it use to be!) Heaven's Metal, BW BK, Outburn, Guitar World, and Bass Player,

Wreathe of Thorns was great! I have all the issues of that magazine.

I liked Circus and Creem in the 70's and early 80's. Didn't really pay much attention to them in the mid-80's on.

Another one I read on occasion was RIP Magazine.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 am

I had a couple of letters printed in Metal Maniacs in the late 90s/early 00s. After the fourth or fifth letter saw print, I got in contact with Jeff Wagner (editor at the time) and tried to parlay that into a freelance gig writing reviews for'em, but no dice. B**tards. Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 19976

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:21 am

I wrote for Heaven's Metal/HM for a while. Did some CD & book reviews and a few feature articles.

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 3:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I wrote for Heaven's Metal/HM for a while. Did some CD & book reviews and a few feature articles.

You were also with the Narrow Path, as was I. LOL Man, I loved that zine. I still talk with George even today.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 4:22 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Sweet!!! I mentioned this before, but I co-published (with Phil Powell) Cephas
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Sweet!!! I mentioned this before, but I co-published (with Phil Powell) Cephas

Yeah Sweet man, I think you sent me a few issues that I did not have! Thanks again! Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 438278
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on Metal Magazines   Your thoughts on Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on Metal Magazines
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2