Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
Smindas
Fat Freddy
Hamer12
DallasBlack
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Empty
PostSubject: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 am

I've been to some great shows at Ridglea Theater in Ft. Worth. Kamelot & Leaves' Eyes, Into Eternity, Epica and Symphony X, & Lazarus A.D., Unearth, and Testament. It has also hosted many great thrash, Euro-power, and various other genre shows. Unfortunatly, they're shutting it down and now the only way to see good concerts at small venues is to go to downtown Dallas (a place that scares the hell out of me late at night when I'm alone). This sucks because that place has become my venue of choice for concerts. A great place tha plays good music goes up in smoke while dance clubs and other crap like that thrives. Guess I'll have to either stick to big shows or take my chance in the land of gangs, drunks, and lunatics (as you can see, I HATE downtown Dallas).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am

Seen many a good show there myself. The Bronco Bowl is gone too I believe. The Palladium is a great place to see a show also. A good friend of mine lives within walking distance of Deep Ellum & we hang out there & check out shows all the time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:08 am

I feel your pain, dude. Same thing happened to me in the late 90s when my favorite venue (the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ) shut its doors. I had seen a ton of great bands there over the span of about five years (Raven, Anvil, Kix, Savatage, Ace Frehley, Joan Jett, Dee Snider's SMFs, Warrior Soul, etc., etc.). I believe there's a condo complex on the site now. Sad

That was my "home" base when I moved back to New Jersey after college. I went to college in New York City so obviously I had my pick of venues then. When I moved back home though, going all the way to NYC for a concert was kind of a pain in the ass so I generally didn't want to be bothered. So it was nice to have a place in my own state.

During the 90s Birch Hill was the only place within a semi-reasonable driving distance (90 minutes) that still booked hard rock and metal acts outside of NYC. (There was also the Fastlane in Asbury Park, but that was an even longer drive and quite frankly, Asbury Park was not the nicest place to be after dark either.)

There were a couple of smaller clubs closer to my home that might book an occasional national act, but for the most part the local clubs were all tribute acts and cover bands. Nothin' against tribute bands, Lord knows I went to see more than my share of 'em back then but once in a while it was nice to see a "real" band that had albums out and everything.

Now that I'm old and semi-retired I don't go to concerts much anyway, so it doesn't make much difference anway, but I was seriously bummed to see the Birch Hill go... Very Happy

Man, I miss that place... (Sniffle...sniffle...sob...) Anybody got a tissue?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am

Hamer12 wrote:
Seen many a good show there myself. The Bronco Bowl is gone too I believe. The Palladium is a great place to see a show also. A good friend of mine lives within walking distance of Deep Ellum & we hang out there & check out shows all the time.

Deep Ellum is a great place but unfortunatly, it's in downtown Dallas. Last time I was there for Galactic Cowboys and couldn't find the lot I parked in and by the time I found it, I was in a barely lit parking lot and I had the only car there and a gropu of suspicious people were heading in my direction. I'm neither tough or menacing looking so it makes it harder for me to walk around in a place like that at night by myself.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am

They closed down the Astoria here in London about a year ago. That was one of my favourite venues. There's plenty left, but that one was particularly iconic.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:40 am

Sorry to hear about that, DallasBlack.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:48 am

Ha!! That might have been us!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:07 pm

I feel your pain, DB. Along with Fat Freddy, I too shed a tear when Birch Hill shut it's doors. Even though it had been awhile since I'd gone, when I heard the news, it was like losing an old friend that you hadn't seen in many years.

And last summer, they closed the Spectrum, which was a large sporting arena where many, many classic concerts were held. If you grew up in the Philly area back in the 70's thru the 90's (and until last September), if you saw a big act in the city, it was at the Spectrum.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 pm

It always sucks when a great venue closes.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:50 pm

DUDE IT ALWAYS SUCKS TO LOSE A GOOD VENUE. OKC just lost the Selah Music Venue. They actually paid bands 250 a night. Sorry for the all caps.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 am

NOOOO!! This is the first I'm hearing of this!!

I can get to that venue in 2 hours and 15 mintues. It's perfect because like DB said it's not in Downtown Dallas, it's on the outer edge of Fort Worth. That's been my venue as well for quite a few years.

Noooo!! That figures.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 8:55 am

On the plus side, Bank Of America decided not to turn it into a bank.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 11:04 am

Brings back memories when they closed down my favorite arena back in the late 80s called the Hollywood Sportitorium....(hey GN'R fans, that's SPORTITORIUM, not Sportarium!)

Yea, in my hometown, Hollywood, FL I seen a lot of good shows there, my favorite was Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses Nov 1987, plus AC/DC twice, Def Leppard, Ratt, Poison, and even the last ever concert there, Judas Priest and Cinderella.

Funny thing I remember the local rock station at the time (WSHE 103.5 "She's Only Rock N' Roll") was giving trivia winners a piece of the rubble as a prize after the big bulldoze leveled it...I could never get thru and missed out on the souvineer.......now, the station is long gone, but since I haven't lived there since 1996, I have no idea where anything is anymore......but I sure miss the "Sporto."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing   My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Favorite Concert Venue Is Closing
Page 1 of 1