Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.

Go down 
+3
manny
James B.
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Empty
PostSubject: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 pm

This past Saturday (09.25) marked the 30th anniversary of the death of John Bonham and essentially the death of Led Zeppelin as we knew it.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Though alot of "kiddiez" disagree with me. One of the best drummers ever. What he played may sound simple, the timing of it is what sets the man apart. I struggled and have to keep my chops up to play it correctly. What he did with his footwork on late 60's pedals is beyond compare. He wasn't ever sloppy onstage. That can't be said about his 60's peers...Moon, Baker, and Mitchell. RIP Bonzo

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:47 pm

James B. wrote:
Though alot of "kiddiez" disagree with me. One of the best drummers ever. What he played may sound simple, the timing of it is what sets the man apart. I struggled and have to keep my chops up to play it correctly. What he did with his footwork on late 60's pedals is beyond compare. He wasn't ever sloppy onstage. That can't be said about his 60's peers...Moon, Baker, and Mitchell. RIP Bonzo

The "kiddies" don't know anything except lightning chops...and they mistake chops for musical talent. Chops are all mechanical, a robot could be programmed to play impressive chops...but to make it musical, that's a much rarer gift.

Bonham was a MONSTER player, able to tackle all the musical variations that Zep experimented with and never sounded out of place. He could "funk it up" with the best of them too, he plays some seriously sick grooves on Houses Of The Holy and Physical Graffiti.

Near the top of my favorite drummers list, alongside contemporaries like Bill Ward, Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford, etc.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 pm

detuned wrote:
James B. wrote:

The "kiddies" don't know anything except lightning chops...and they mistake chops for musical talent. Chops are all mechanical, a robot could be programmed to play impressive chops...but to make it musical, that's a much rarer gift.

Bonham was a MONSTER player, able to tackle all the musical variations that Zep experimented with and never sounded out of place. He could "funk it up" with the best of them too, he plays some seriously sick grooves on Houses Of The Holy and Physical Graffiti.

Near the top of my favorite drummers list, alongside contemporaries like Bill Ward, Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford, etc.

Nothing I can add to this statement except I agree 100 %
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Well, I've always thought he was overrated but his work on 'Presence' especially on 'Achilles Last Stand' was great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:14 pm

What finally hipped me to Bonham was listening to jazz for many years. Then after my little grey cells were acclimated to jazz style drumming...people like Bonham, Mitchell & Baker made alot more sense to me.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I can't speak from a technical view, but for me Bonham was the first drummer that made me notice the drummer as more that just the guy in the back that keeps the beat. He brought the drums out into the forefront of rock music and made them just as important (and loud) as the guitars and singers.

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I can't speak from a technical view, but for me Bonham was the first drummer that made me notice the drummer as more that just the guy in the back that keeps the beat. He brought the drums out into the forefront of rock music and made them just as important (and loud) as the guitars and singers.

That's also a completely accurate observation.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I agree with this as well. Although he's not a fav of mine, the man knew his way around the kit and put his stamp on numerous ZEP songs.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 pm

detuned wrote:
What finally hipped me to Bonham was listening to jazz for many years. Then after my little grey cells were acclimated to jazz style drumming...people like Bonham, Mitchell & Baker made alot more sense to me.

I have always been a huge fan of Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker, I guess all the Proto Metal drummers I've heard have made me feel lukewarm about Bonzo I don't know but I do agree with MetalGuy71 that he brought drums/drummers more into the forefront.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Bonham was great. RIP
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 7:30 pm

John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. 604261
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.   John Bonham - 30 Years Gone. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Bonham - 30 Years Gone.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: