Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seeing Overkill tonight

Go down 
+12
James B.
Gilbert
Required Fields
thejokeriv
ultmetal
kmorg
Storm_Rider89
vanillaviking
nevermore
Alaskan Metalhead
krokus
Alex Dee Rokket
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Seeing Overkill tonight Empty
PostSubject: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 1:38 am

Down here in Sydney.

It's the band's first ever time on Australian soil and first time playing in Sydney too.

Should be good but I heard that they are 1 guitarist short - hopefully that doesn't mean a lack of guitar solos tonight.

Anyways i'm really excited to check out these guys live. Been into them for over 10 years now and I'm finally going to "feel the fire" of the "wrecking crew" hahah sorry cheesy moment...

I'll write out my report after the gig.... probably at a time when I'm more fully recovered...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 3:36 am

I think you are going to love them, they always give a intense thrash metal show. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Metalhead
Metal novice
Metal novice
Alaskan Metalhead

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 4:47 am

I am immensely jealous of you at this moment!!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Have fun!!! Give us a review.
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 6:33 pm

was the DVD still being done at this show? just wondered since the band was short a guitarist...
Back to top Go down
Storm_Rider89
Metal novice
Metal novice
Storm_Rider89

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 3:23 am

Saw Overkill on thursday nite in Brisbane and WOW!!! That was one of the best shows ive ever seen in my life, what an amazing band. Blitz is an incredible frontman, especially for someone hes age. Overkill make most new bands look silly. The setlist was awesome, they played 3 songs of Horrorscope which made me ecststatic including Thanx for Nothin' which i didnt expect. And, Mortal Sin they were a class act too, playin heaps of there classic songs being the perfect support for overkill. Ahaha it was so awesome seein' 40 year old dudes bust out there old battle jackets, and there finest denim Razz lol. Real metal is makin a comeback Seeing Overkill tonight 604261
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:32 am

Didn't know we had so many aussie peeps here! Sideshow should have no problems getting friends now! Laughing

OT: Overkill is one of the bands I've yet to see live. I hope to remedy that one day.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 9:46 am

Were Overkill short a guitarist?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:44 am

Hey guys

Well Overkill were nothing short of amazing. I was right up front, in between the front row and the third row - wherever the mosh was taking me in that regard.

Indeed they were short one guitarist - only Dave Linsk was present however I did not feel the absence of Derek Tailer. The band sounded fine with just one guitarist (much as they did back in the 80s) - the solos were there as were all the main riffs. Not a single note was skipped or at least it seemed that way. If anything DD's bass seemed even more at the forefront.

Blitz was very energetic - jumping about the place. His voice sounded very venomous much as I would expect Blitz to sound like. The only trouble was that earlier on in the show, the vocals sounded a bit buried in the mix but were soon made to sound clearer by the third or fourth song.

Of note is that the band played ACDC's Dirty Deeds right after Smurf You and at the very end Blitz stage dove into the audience. At first the audience caught him for like 10 seconds and then they all tumbled over and fell to the ground. Then a bunch of us helped out Blitz bringing him back up - he then successfully crowd surfed all the way back to the stage. For a while there he was holding onto my arm real tight and I though that moment was just magic hahahahah

My favorite song of the night was "Long Time Dyin'" - I didn't expect to hear it but it was so damn heavy and Linsk also played that bluesy intro which I love. I also really liked Necroshine - the version was as good as the one on Wrecking Everything.

Mortal Sin opened for Overkill - pretty good sounding but I arrived about half way through their set so I didn't catch them right from the start. I have much respect for Mortal Sin as an Australian thrash band but they probably receive a better reaction from the crowd when they headline. I think last night everyone was saving up their energy for Overkill as not many seemed to be that into Mortal Sin's set (except for a couple of hardcore fans in the front row).

Overkill's setlist as far as I remember it:

The Green and Black
Rotten to the Core
Wrecking Crew
Hello from the Gutter Play Video
Hammerhead
Long Time Dyin'
Ironbound
Coma
Necorshine
Horrorscope
Old School
Bring Me the Night
Elimination
Smurf You
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

That was roughly the order...

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 pm

I would love to see MORTAL SIN ones, i really like their albums a lot. I can see that OVERKILL gave you a great show, thats very good. Yeah, i agree that NECROSHINE sounds great live. Nice to see they played classics like ELIMINATION, HAMMERHEAD, HELLO FROM THE GUTTER, WRECKING CREW. ROTTEN TO THE CORE and FU.CK YOU.
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:59 pm

again, any word on the DVD--was it still on? thanks!

pics: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wicked-Pix/100697386639008?ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=26275&id=100697386639008&fbid=147433331965413&ref=mf
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Storm_Rider89 wrote:
Saw Overkill on thursday nite in Brisbane and WOW!!! That was one of the best shows ive ever seen in my life, what an amazing band. Blitz is an incredible frontman, especially for someone hes age. Overkill make most new bands look silly. The setlist was awesome, they played 3 songs of Horrorscope which made me ecststatic including Thanx for Nothin' which i didnt expect. And, Mortal Sin they were a class act too, playin heaps of there classic songs being the perfect support for overkill. Ahaha it was so awesome seein' 40 year old dudes bust out there old battle jackets, and there finest denim Razz lol. Real metal is makin a comeback Seeing Overkill tonight 604261

Awesome!!! One of by friends was there and said it was a GREAT show!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 6:03 pm

If only it was Sydney, Nova Scotia instead of Sydney, Australia. Sydney, Nova Scotia is only a quick drive from where I live.

I'm glad you had a great time, however. Man, what I wouldn't give to see Overkill.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:03 am

Glad you enjoyed the show bro
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks for the overview. I've seen Overkill twice and both times they absolutely annihilated! Got to meet the band both times as well. They were very cool, taking pictures and signing autographed, though Derek wasn't really into talking with fans. I couldn't get his autograph at all.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:52 am

thanks for the review on the concert

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 am

Sounds like a great show. I've seen Overkill four times over the years (the last time was in 1994 -- gawd, was it really that long ago? haha) and they were always a crushing live band. Sounds like nothing has changed.

Any idea why Derek Tailer wasn't there? I hope he's not outta the band...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

My favorite song of the night was "Long Time Dyin'" - I didn't expect to hear it but it was so damn heavy and Linsk also played that bluesy intro which I love. I also really liked Necroshine - the version was as good as the one on Wrecking Everything

That song is so heavy indeed.. Like I mentioned before, my fav Overkill song....

Great review
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:50 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Hey guys

Well Overkill were nothing short of amazing. I was right up front, in between the front row and the third row - wherever the mosh was taking me in that regard.

Indeed they were short one guitarist - only Dave Linsk was present however I did not feel the absence of Derek Tailer. The band sounded fine with just one guitarist (much as they did back in the 80s) - the solos were there as were all the main riffs. Not a single note was skipped or at least it seemed that way. If anything DD's bass seemed even more at the forefront.

Blitz was very energetic - jumping about the place. His voice sounded very venomous much as I would expect Blitz to sound like. The only trouble was that earlier on in the show, the vocals sounded a bit buried in the mix but were soon made to sound clearer by the third or fourth song.

Of note is that the band played ACDC's Dirty Deeds right after Smurf You and at the very end Blitz stage dove into the audience. At first the audience caught him for like 10 seconds and then they all tumbled over and fell to the ground. Then a bunch of us helped out Blitz bringing him back up - he then successfully crowd surfed all the way back to the stage. For a while there he was holding onto my arm real tight and I though that moment was just magic hahahahah

My favorite song of the night was "Long Time Dyin'" - I didn't expect to hear it but it was so damn heavy and Linsk also played that bluesy intro which I love. I also really liked Necroshine - the version was as good as the one on Wrecking Everything.

Mortal Sin opened for Overkill - pretty good sounding but I arrived about half way through their set so I didn't catch them right from the start. I have much respect for Mortal Sin as an Australian thrash band but they probably receive a better reaction from the crowd when they headline. I think last night everyone was saving up their energy for Overkill as not many seemed to be that into Mortal Sin's set (except for a couple of hardcore fans in the front row).

Overkill's setlist as far as I remember it:

The Green and Black
Rotten to the Core
Wrecking Crew
Hello from the Gutter Play Video
Hammerhead
Long Time Dyin'
Ironbound
Coma
Necorshine
Horrorscope
Old School
Bring Me the Night
Elimination
Smurf You
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

That was roughly the order...

I was there as well up at the front and man it was one of the most intense concerts Ive ever been to. Bobby Blitz at times was trembling and I'm sure he must of either been high on coke or speed he crept backstage between songs and then lept on the stage when he was about to sing the first verse incredible. I am only familiar with 3 albums by Overkill Influence, IHB and
Killbox 13. So I only was familiar with the Hello from the Gutter song and its a pity they didnt play drunken wisdom and songs of IHB and Killbox 13. Also alot of badasses there as well'it wouldn't surprise if some of them were linked with the aryan brotherhood or some dangerous gang I wouldn't want to mess with, I heard stories of people getting their drinks spiked that night. But hey I was ok I had 2 skinheads next to me at the front but they were too focused on headbanging and singing along. Also Bobby jumped into the audience at the very end and it wouldn't surprise me if I can see myself in the DVD
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:54 pm

I've seen them twice, and would really like to see them again...it sucks that Killfest 2010 will only be on the East Coast! The lineup looks killer...

It's too bad that a band this good hasn't gotten the recognition they deserve...they have their loyal fan base, yeah, but the rest of the metal world needs to WAKE UP to Overkill.

No, wait...then that would make them trendy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:10 pm

I haven't seen them since the Horrorscope tour, definitely need to fix that problem.

Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm

fingers wrote:

I was there as well up at the front and man it was one of the most intense concerts Ive ever been to. Bobby Blitz at times was trembling and I'm sure he must of either been high on coke or speed he crept backstage between songs and then lept on the stage when he was about to sing the first verse incredible.
he customarily goes behind the equipment onstage & has a drink or a smoke--usually you can see him crouched sidestage. (then the crowd waits to see if he's going to stop in time when he sprints back out to the mic stand. Laughing ) good on ya if you make it in the DVD! sounds pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:00 am

fingers wrote:
Also alot of badasses there as well'it wouldn't surprise if some of them were linked with the aryan brotherhood or some dangerous gang I wouldn't want to mess with, I heard stories of people getting their drinks spiked that night. But hey I was ok I had 2 skinheads next to me at the front but they were too focused on headbanging and singing along. Also Bobby jumped into the audience at the very end and it wouldn't surprise me if I can see myself in the DVD

Damn really? I remember there were two skinhead dudes at the front one of them sporting a Metallica Justice for all tat on his left shoulder. They both seemed really into the show.

Btw you might have seen me that night - i was wearing a Nile long-sleeve and I have short reddish/blodne hair.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeing Overkill tonight   Seeing Overkill tonight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seeing Overkill tonight
Page 1 of 1