Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988

Go down 
+3
manny
Fat Freddy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

"Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Empty
PostSubject: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Found this whilst trolling around YouTube and thought it was funny enough to post...this is an MTV commercial for a contest tied into the "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" tour from 1988...

Woo! Winner gets their own tour bus for a week, stocked with Caramello candy bars, Sun Country Wine Coolers, and L.A. Gear sneakers (cuz everyone knows all the metal heads wore L.A. Gear back in the day...hahaha!). Plus you get to jam onstage with the Van Hagar boys. Does it get any better than that, kids?

I saw this tour @ Giants Stadium in June of '88... don't remember ever seeing this commercial at the time, though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 pm

Saw the tour at Three Rivers Stadium in June also. Never saw that commercial either.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 pm

I saw this tour at Tampa Stadium and I don't remember this commercial, of course there is a lot of the 80's I don't remember
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Metallica 4th billing under Dokken? "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 201269

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metallica 4th billing under Dokken? "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 201269

Yep, it's the truth. You gotta remember that in early '88, AND JUSTICE FOR ALL hadn't dropped yet so to the mainstream world at large Metallica was still more or less a largely unknown "cult" act. So they were the second band up that day, right after Kingdom Come.

You could tell that most of the people (at least at the show I attended) were there for Metallica though. Lord knows they were the main reason my friends and I were there (none of us had ever seen Metallica live before).

Kingdom Come got boo'd mercilessly the entire time they were onstage, most likely due to people wanting them to get the hell out of the way so Metallica could come on.

My friends and I stuck it out thru Dokken's and the Scorpions' sets after Metallica, but we bailed before Van Halen came on (none of us had any interest in seeing Van Hagar). We weren't the only ones, either, there were a large number of people leaving the stadium at the same time as us, and we were all chanting "Hagar's not metal! Hagar's not metal!" Laughing very hard

Ahhh, memories.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Quote :
Yep, it's the truth. You gotta remember that in early '88, AND JUSTICE FOR ALL hadn't dropped yet so to the mainstream world at large Metallica was still more or less a largely unknown "cult" act. So they were the second band up that day, right after Kingdom Come.

Oh, believe me, I understand. I didn't know who they were at that time either. I'm just laughing at how the times have changed from that era.

My friends and I went to the parking lot to tailgate that day. We had no tickets and really no plan to actually attend. Somebody said we should just go down to JFK Stadium, party and hang out. So we did. We could kinda hear the music. I got totally wasted, probably puked too.

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Kingdom Come never got any respect and I actually like them.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 am

I saw it in Seattle summer '88 and yes, I dont remember the commercial either.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:48 am

RFK Stadium in DC. Went with a friend of mine and his older brother (who did his best to ditch us). The Scorpions were the big draw for me that day. Left a big fan of Metallica after. And everyone hated Kingdom Come. "Kingdom Clone" was the big chant. Took me twenty years till I actually would listen to that s/t album and of course I loved it.

We were interviewed by Channel 4 News who were covering the show. Unfortunately we were cut from the story and missed a good portion of Dokken waiting for a pay phone to call home to tell them to tape it. Good times.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:30 pm

I went to this in Long Beach. CA. I jumped over the fence to get in. HAHA. Kingdom Come were great. Metallica were ok, but I was never that big of a Metallica fan. Dokken were kinda boring. Nothing spectacular. The Scorpions were awesome. Van Halen kicked ass! It was a good show though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Saw this tour at the HumptyDome [MetroDome]. Absolutely, hands down the worst sound production I have ever had to endure.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 5:58 pm

This thread got me thinking of my favorite MTV contest and the only one I ever entered. Forgot about the Streets Of Fire screening.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988   "Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Van Halen's Monsters of Rock" contest - 1988
Page 1 of 1