Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.

Go down 
+3
chewie
akeldama
manny
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Empty
PostSubject: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 7:22 am

Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. 1030363314_8b90985e43_b

Today marks the 40th anniversary of one of my favorite artist, just wanted to make a note of this day. Amazingly his public career only lasted from 1967 til 1970, and he managed to create a lifetime worth of music. Thanks for the music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 10:11 am

40 years later and still sounds ahead of his time. The "technique" has been copied and synthesized and imitated and watered down...but nobody actually "sounds" like Hendrix.

I view Hendrix as the next logical improvisational step after Coltrane.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 12:29 pm

detuned wrote:
40 years later and still sounds ahead of his time. The "technique" has been copied and synthesized and imitated and watered down...but nobody actually "sounds" like Hendrix.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:35 pm

detuned wrote:

Yeah, I could see that that.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:37 pm

detuned wrote:

This would make a very interesting scholarly study, comparing transcriptions of the improvisational material of Hendrix and Coltrane. Any musicologists out there that want to bite? I already have my Master's.... Very Happy

Hard to believe its been 40 years and we still talk about him and his innovative playing. I often wonder if that would be the case if he had not died. Any guitarists want to weigh in?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:38 pm

BBC article about the anniversary. There is also an excellent audio interview with Hendrix linked on the same page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11349374

One part of the article that bears repeating...

Sound engineer Roger Mayer, who knew Hendrix well in London, believes Hendrix's drug-use has been exaggerated.

"When I knew him he wasn't stoned all the time, which is what people think," he says.

"You can't play guitar to that standard on stage or in the studio if you're stoned on drugs. I've seen other people try but it doesn't work.

"He was less outrageous than a lot of other people at the time," he add
s.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 4:10 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
detuned wrote:

This would make a very interesting scholarly study, comparing transcriptions of the improvisational material of Hendrix and Coltrane. Any musicologists out there that want to bite? I already have my Master's.... Very Happy

Hard to believe its been 40 years and we still talk about him and his innovative playing. I often wonder if that would be the case if he had not died. Any guitarists want to weigh in?

I am not a musicologists and have no knowledge of music theory, and my guitar skills are not going wow anyone this side of Sid Vicious, but IMO we would still be discussing Hendrix and we would talking how incredible he is and how innovative he was
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:53 pm

KILLING FLOOR

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 3:19 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
detuned wrote:

I'm not a guitarist, but I would comment on this by saying that Eric Clapton is still alive and people still talk about how awesome and innovative he was/is. Same with Jeff Beck & Eddie Van Halen...

I don't think Hendrix's death in any way exaggerates his accomplishments...

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'm not a guitarist, but I would comment on this by saying that Eric Clapton is still alive and people still talk about how awesome and innovative he was/is. Same with Jeff Beck & Eddie Van Halen...

I don't think Hendrix's death in any way exaggerates his accomplishments...

Good point about Clapton. I hope no one thinks I was trying to diminish Hendrix's accomplishments by my comment. Far from it! I love Hendrix and I would guess he would have continued to innovate. Heck, people were blown away by what he was doing before he died and I don't think that would have changed had he lived.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 10:18 am

He certainly did allot in a very little bit of time.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 am

He was the first rock guitarist to think outside the box.

RIP
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
He certainly did allot in a very little bit of time.

Just like Randy Rhoads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.   Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Today marks the 40th anniversy of Jimi Hendrix's passing.
Page 1 of 1