Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP George Steinbrenner.

Go down 
+4
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
Joe
MetalGuy71
8 posters
AuthorMessage

RIP George Steinbrenner. Empty
PostSubject: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Love him or hate him he wanted to win and did. His fingerprints are all over modern baseball.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Did he really die? Not making a joke here or anything, but there was some confusion I heard this morning. Some outlets were reporting a severe heart attack, some said he was dead. I guess either way, it's bad news.

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of his, but he certainly made an impact on the business of baseball. Larry David's vocal impression on 'Seinfeld' was funny though. I always got a kick outta that.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:11 pm

RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_eek wow, wasn't expecting that. Count me as one that couldn't stand him, but a very prominent figure in baseball. He will be missed. RIP George Steinbrenner. 163436

All-Star game is tonight, he should get an enormous tribute.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Heard this earlier today. R.I.P. to The Boss!

Oddly enough, the Yankees' long time stadium announcer, Bob Sheppard (aka "The Voice of God" as the players called him) passed away over the weekend at age 99. I wonder if George was waiting for Bob to go to the Great Beyond first, so Bob could announce him when he got there. "Now arriving...on cloud nine... The Boss... George... Steinbrenner."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Heard this earlier today. R.I.P. to The Boss!

Oddly enough, the Yankees' long time stadium announcer, Bob Sheppard (aka "The Voice of God" as the players called him) passed away over the weekend at age 99. I wonder if George was waiting for Bob to go to the Great Beyond first, so Bob could announce him when he got there. "Now arriving...on cloud nine... The Boss... George... Steinbrenner."

I doubt it, Steinbrenner's going to hell! RIP George Steinbrenner. 84826 They say they go in three's. That even applies to the Yankees? Who's next?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I guess it's fitting he passed away on All-Star Game day. He was a hardcore business man who did everything he could to win, and succeeded a lot of the times, and for that, I give him respect.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Dang, I just realized that Steinbrenner's last baseball moment he probably saw was a Boston Red Sox player (David Ortiz) winning the Home Run Derby. Oh well, at least he got to see the Yanks win one more championship which is better anyway.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:22 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Love him or hate him he wanted to win and did. His fingerprints are all over modern baseball.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well.

I HATE the Yankees (and I'm not even a fan of an American League team) and I HATE the way he siphoned off the best talent other teams developed. But what if he owned the Cardinals? I'd freakin love the guy!

An owner who spends money to always put the best team he can on the field? I think George started that trend.

RIP George.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I liked the win at all costs attitude - its too bad other owners dont do that.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 8:49 am

I am not into sports at all, and probably the only straight male who isn't, but living in the Tampa bay area which he made his home the man made a huge impact in our area, helped poor kids get thru college, gave money to the arts and was a generally a nice man who put on no airs.

Also he would put kids thru college if their fathers where police officers who were killed in the line of duty, when our local newspaper the St. Pete Times in 2006 asked why he gives so much money away for local causes in the Tampa Bay area he simply stated:

"I don't want to die with all this money. I want to give to the people. I don't want to die the richest man in the cemetery"

A class act who will be missed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:18 am

Quote :

There might be some former employees that would dispute that.

I'm not gonna speak ill of the dead, but there seems to be some revisionist history going on in the media right now. He wasn't exactly "St. George".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Did he really die? Not making a joke here or anything, but there was some confusion I heard this morning. Some outlets were reporting a severe heart attack, some said he was dead. I guess either way, it's bad news.

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of his, but he certainly made an impact on the business of baseball. Larry David's vocal impression on 'Seinfeld' was funny though. I always got a kick outta that.

Yes he did, The Facebook page of the Yankees had released a press statement about him dying.

RIP

Yankees remain one of my favorite teams
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:41 pm

manny wrote:
I am not into sports at all, and probably the only straight male who isn't, but living in the Tampa bay area which he made his home the man made a huge impact in our area, helped poor kids get thru college, gave money to the arts and was a generally a nice man who put on no airs.

Also he would put kids thru college if their fathers where police officers who were killed in the line of duty, when our local newspaper the St. Pete Times in 2006 asked why he gives so much money away for local causes in the Tampa Bay area he simply stated:

"I don't want to die with all this money. I want to give to the people. I don't want to die the richest man in the cemetery"

Nah youre not alone I know a few who arent and theyre straight heh, heck the only sport i love is baseball
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP George Steinbrenner.   RIP George Steinbrenner. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP George Steinbrenner.
Page 1 of 1