Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The southern rockers!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

The southern rockers! Empty
PostSubject: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Well lately I've been on a huge southern rock revival of sorts. Having just got my Preacher Stone http://www.myspace.com/preacherstonerocks as well as a few others these bands are the style of southern rock I love.

Judge Parker http://www.myspace.com/judgeparker

Swampdawamp http://www.myspace.com/swampdawamp

Dertybird http://www.myspace.com/dertybirdmusic

Rebel Pride http://www.myspace.com/rebelprideband

Four Horseman http://www.myspace.com/fourhorsemenband

Good stuff here for those who did southern rock!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 10:13 am

My copy of Preacher Stone just came yesterday. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:41 am

I'll check these bands out later. I'm a big southern rock fan.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:49 pm

This Preacher Stone has one of the funniest titles I've seen in a while.

"Old Fashioned Ass Whoopin' Sumbitch"

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Swampdawamp has a great Allman's vibe. I just put Preacher Stone on the list to get.
You should check out Hogjaw.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 12:34 am

Grinderswitch, Wet Willie and Cowboy were also great bands. Maybe not as hard as some of those Florida bands of the late 70;s but still good just the same. Never heard of any of the bands mentioned, gonna go hit up YooHooo Tube and put some ears on it. Thanks !

Laterz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 pm

I liked the harder stuff, Blackfoot, Hatchet. I always mention the "second tier" classic southern rockers like Point Blank, Hydra, Ultra, and now Doc Holliday whom I just re-discovered. A lot of the recent bands are good too. Southern rock is thought of as a 70's thing, but I think there is more of it coming out now than there was then!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 7:00 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I liked the harder stuff, Blackfoot, Hatchet. I always mention the "second tier" classic southern rockers like Point Blank, Hydra, Ultra, and now Doc Holliday whom I just re-discovered. A lot of the recent bands are good too. Southern rock is thought of as a 70's thing, but I think there is more of it coming out now than there was then!

That's where I'm at with the genre as well. While I like some Allman Brothers, overall they're too bluesy for me. And Marshall Tucker Band and Charlie Daniels have some songs I like but they're too country most of the time.

I'm diggin' this Preacher Stone CD. There are a few "Allman-esque" tracks that don't float my boat but overall I like it. The newest Blackberry Smoke veers too much to nu-country on a few songs but I still really dig it as well (I actually think that overall Blackberry Smoke's songwriting is more memorable than Preacher Stone).

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 7:11 pm

toho do you remember Mama's Pride from St. Louis? Their first album was somewhere between Allmans and heavy. Some nice guitar on there anyway.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 pm

I've heard of them but I think they pre-dated my move to STL. Are they still around?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 pm

I doubt it. They were a late 70's Allman influenced fairly hard rock band. I think Wounded Bird or one of those outfits re-released their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Toho I know you would like Rebel Pride!

"It Is What It Is" is killer!
www.myspace.com/rebelprideband

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The southern rockers!   The southern rockers! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The southern rockers!
Page 1 of 1