Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Santana To Do Covers Album?

Go down 
+10
chewie
James B.
manny
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
MetalRob331
Schbopo
Addy
akeldama
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Santana To Do Covers Album? Empty
PostSubject: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:13 pm

WTF? I saaw this in RS magazine and among the covers is AC/DC's Back In Black. I won't be buying this I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:14 pm

I heard Weiland will be contributing to a Santana album. Would be interesting to see what he does
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:22 pm

Addy wrote:
I heard Weiland will be contributing to a Santana album. Would be interesting to see what he does

Weiland + Santana? Sounds awful.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 am

Schbopo wrote:
Addy wrote:

I literally Laughing very hard to this
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 am

Schbopo wrote:
Addy wrote:

Then dont get the album simple as that
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Addy wrote:

I literally Laughing very hard to this

Well, it could be worse, he could get that guy from matchbox 20 to sing a song again!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:35 am

Smooth got overkilled in the radio, i have the CD Single to that but its never been opened cuz the radio played it enough
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:06 am

Eh, might be worth a listen.

Cover albums, because all the cool kids are doing it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Here's the track list with guest vocalists for those that care...in stores Sept. 21st

Quote :

"Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Time" (working track listing):

* "Whole Lotta Love" featuring Chris Cornell (LED ZEPPELIN)
* "Sunshine Of Your Love" featuring Rob Thomas (CREAM)
* "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" featuring Scott Weiland (THE ROLLING STONES)
* "Dance the Night Away" featuring Pat Monahan (VAN HALEN)
* "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" featuring india.arie and Yo-Yo Ma (THE BEATLES)
* "Bang A Gong" featuring Gavin Rossdale (T. REX)
* "Smoke On the Water" featuring Jacoby Shaddix (DEEP PURPLE)
* "Photograph" featuring Chris Daughtry (DEF LEPPARD)
* "Back In Black" featuring Nas (AC/DC)
* "Little Wing" featuring Joe Cocker (JIMI HENDRIX)
* "Riders On the Storm" featuring Chester Bennington and Ray Manzarek (THE DOORS)
* "I Ain't Superstitious" featuring Jonny Lang (HOWLIN' WOLF, JEFF BECK GROUP)
* "Fortunate Son" featuring Scott Stapp (CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL)

Judging from some of the song choices and vocalists, this could be a huge disaster. Santana playing Def Leppard? Nas singing (rapping?) 'Back In Black'? Ooooh-Fa.

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 am

no comment
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 am

I'm kind of interested in how the singers cover those songs. Stapp doing CCR, Daughtry doing Leppard. Some, like NAS, shouldn't touch rock songs imo. And I already hate the india and Yo-Yo song.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:22 am

Santana is tying to stay relevant every few years working with whoever is "in" or fashionable. Is he ever going to write his own music again?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:50 am

I am a causal Santana fan but Nas covering AC/DC!!!!!!!!! The dude from Linkin Park doing a Doors song!!!!!!!!! The dude from Bush singing T. Rex!!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds like a record labels wet dream then a legit artistic expression from Santana, in that same interview he admits he only heard AC/DC's music recently, but claims is now a fan.

I will be curious to hear it, and while I think Bush and Linkin Park are ok, IMO these guys are nowhere near the same league as the artists they are covering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:32 am

Gavin doing Bang a Gong isn't much of a stretch though. That's a pretty straightforward song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 am

Hendrix, Cream and Jeff Beck I can see, but does Santana's style of playing lend itself to stuff like Van Halen, Def Leppard and AC/DC? The guys got talent, no question. But they just seem like odd choices to me. And even if he puts his own spin on things, I'm not sure I want to hear 'Smoke on the Water' with a Latin flavor.

I dunno. I like a good covers album, but I think he's a little out of his league on this one.

Quote :
This sounds like a record labels wet dream then a legit artistic expression from Santana

Sounds about right.

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:14 pm

The tracklisting and guest artists reek of "producer-selected material".

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Id like to check this out when it comes out

Screw all you naysayers
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 am

I've listened to all of Santana's albums whether they were solo, woth other musicians, etc. and this does NOT appeal to me at all.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 8:05 am

After his pop stint with Rob Thomas and Michelle Branch, is this some kind of attempt to win over some hard rock fans?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 8:55 am

Troublezone wrote:
After his pop stint with Rob Thomas and Michelle Branch, is this some kind of attempt to win over some hard rock fans?

My guess yes, think of the resurgence (at least in the media's eyes anyway) with classic metal/hard rock thru satellite radio, magazines, VH1 etc.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 am

Troublezone wrote:

Should've gotten Greg Rolie and Niel Schon back in the band

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 am

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Should've gotten Greg Rolie and Niel Schon back in the band

That's what I was just thinking.... That or get the lineup that recorded "Open Invitation" (Open Secrets album?)back together to Rock!!!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:12 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Hendrix, Cream and Jeff Beck I can see, but does Santana's style of playing lend itself to stuff like Van Halen, Def Leppard and AC/DC? The guys got talent, no question. But they just seem like odd choices to me. And even if he puts his own spin on things, I'm not sure I want to hear 'Smoke on the Water' with a Latin flavor.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I have a feeling Santana's trademark sound will be completely subdued in order to make this work as an album.

I'll definitely check this out, I like Santana and a few of those guest singers are fantastic choices.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Sound clips available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_27590_16924810_pe_02/?ASIN=B003TML0VO

Some songs sound better than others, but I dunno. Not a complete trainwreck but I don't wanna hear a rapping version of 'Back in Black'.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:15 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

My guess yes, think of the resurgence (at least in the media's eyes anyway) with classic metal/hard rock thru satellite radio, magazines, VH1 etc.

These will not be "hard rock" versions of these songs...expect current Sanatan-lite versions...

PostSubject: Re: Santana To Do Covers Album?   Santana To Do Covers Album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Santana To Do Covers Album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next