Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Mercyful Fate recording?

Go down 
+10
Doomdance
James B.
nevermore
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
manny
thejokeriv
Dave the Boss
14 posters

Best thing MF ever did?
Mercyful Fate (aka Nuns Have No Fun)
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap20%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Melissa
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap30%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Don't Break the Oath
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap40%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 8 ]
In the Shadows
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap5%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Time
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap5%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Into the Unknown
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap0%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Dead Again
Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_lcap0%Best Mercyful Fate recording? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Best Mercyful Fate recording? Empty
PostSubject: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

So... what's your favorite Mercyful Fate album? Honestly, this is almost impossible for me, but I guess I like the original EP the best. Early MF is the perfect synthesis between Maiden and Priest as far as I'm concerned, and I just dig the rawer vibe on the EP. In terms of pure, traditional heavy metal, Nuns Have No Fun is pretty much the pinnacle.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Picked Melissa, but could have easily picked Don't Break The Oath - both are AWESOME albums and part of the soundtrack of my high school years!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:34 pm

I went with Melissa. I bought that album as in impulse purchase because of the cover, a wise decision in hindsight.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 10:19 pm

I went with 'Melissa' an album that still sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 8:15 am

DON'T BREAK THE OATH! Nothin sez "metal" like a big ole flamin' Satan on your album cover. Laughing

Tho truthfully, anything with the MF name on it was golden up to and including INTO THE UNKNOWN.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:25 am

I went with Don't Break The Oath - Pure brilliance!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Wow, really tough for me since I like everything except Dead Again. To me that album was a huge flop. They broke up the duo of Denner and Sherman and lost the magic they had together. Don't get me wrong, Mike Wead is a great guitar player and he has done some great things with King Diamond but he just didn't fit well with Mercyful Fate.

I picked In The Shadows. This is probably one of the best come back albums by any band. Its almost like they never broke up. I believe this was my first Mercyful Fate album. I bought it as soon as it came out. I loved the song Egypt. I remember Headbangers Ball would play it every once in a while.

If I didn't pick In The Shadows, it would have been Into The Unknown. Once again another great album and I really liked the production.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Went with Melissa
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25645

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Don't Break The Oath!! Best Mercyful Fate recording? 11840
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:46 am

I might be in the minority here, but I've never been a big fan of the reunion discs. Everything they did during their original tenure is of course impeccable. The first riff on The Oath might be the best riff ever conceived... but then again, the same could be said for A Corpse Without a Soul... and Evil... and Doomed By the Living Dead... and... and...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:48 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
They broke up the duo of Denner and Sherman and lost the magic they had together. Don't get me wrong, Mike Wead is a great guitar player and he has done some great things with King Diamond but he just didn't fit well with Mercyful Fate.

Word up homey.

Without the Shermann/Denner guitar team, MF might as well have been King Diamond's solo band...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:52 am

Only the original line up is truly MF imo. Sherman, Denner, Ruzz, Hansen and The King.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Only the original line up is truly MF imo. Sherman, Denner, Ruzz, Hansen and The King.

True, but what are bands to do when a few original members don't have interest in it anymore and want to move onto something else? Are those bands just suppose to quit? Sherman, Denner, and King are Mercyful Fate. Hansen was a great bass player but he seemed like he was kind of all over the place being in the band being out of the band etc. Then Kim Ruzz was an ok drummer, but nothing blew me away with his playing he wasn't an original member either. I think Snowy Shaw is one of the better ones but Bjorn is equally as good.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Melissa and Don't Break The Oath are my favorites, went with the latter as my choice...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:03 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

True, but what are bands to do when a few original members don't have interest in it anymore and want to move onto something else? Are those bands just suppose to quit? Sherman, Denner, and King are Mercyful Fate. Hansen was a great bass player but he seemed like he was kind of all over the place being in the band being out of the band etc. Then Kim Ruzz was an ok drummer, but nothing blew me away with his playing he wasn't an original member either. I think Snowy Shaw is one of the better ones but Bjorn is equally as good.

Nah, I just think that was the best line up for MF. I applaud them for going on, but I'd rather put on Melissa, Nuns Have No Fun or Don't Break the Oath than the newer stuff. Still, if it makes 'em happy to do MF with new musicians, go for it.
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 7:36 am

Don't Break The Oath wins!!! This is THE ultimate black metal abum! Evil as can be... Mercyful Fate's finest moment!

But sadly just like King Diamond I saw them several times... King rocks on records but blows live.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 3:24 am

Don't Break the Oath
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Doomdance wrote:
Don't Break The Oath wins!!! This is THE ultimate black metal abum! Evil as can be... Mercyful Fate's finest moment!

But sadly just like King Diamond I saw them several times... King rocks on records but blows live.

Wow... I didn't see you say this earlier, but really? You think he sucks live? Of course he can't hit some of those notes all the time because theres just so much over dubbing in the studio albums but I think he does a great job.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm

I love old poles that remain open after all of these years. It's always going to come down to those first 3, but I will go with "Don't Break the Oath" to break the tie for now.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

I missed this poll back then so I'll cast my vote now. For me, the choice is simple..Don't Break The Oath.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 am

After “ Don’t Break The Oath “ - Hank Shermann wanted to change the style of music.
King said no way and quit the band.
Sherman was also wearing pink sweat pants on stage.
Began playing funk guitar solos - further alienating the fans.
Shermann was hanging out at discos with friends who liked that music too.

King and Shermann then both asked Denner, via phone calls to join their band.
Denner said it was a tough choice because he was close friends with both of them.

So Shermann wanted to keep the name Mercyful Fate - and sound like Europe / Bon Jovi
He wanted to cash in too with what was going on at the time.
King said no way ! So Shermann called his new band FATE.
This is what they sounded like after landing a record deal.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Best Mercyful Fate recording? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Mercyful Fate recording?
Page 1 of 1