Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Handful of Rain

Go down 
+8
James B.
Fat Freddy
7thSaviour
kmorg
manny
Troublezone
tohostudios
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:24 am

Might be the lesser known of the Savatage albums and is almost a Zak album with some Jon keys, or maybe it's a Paul album with Zak singing but man, I love it. Skolnick is a great fill in here and does great work and I love the vocal harmonies on Chance.
And I never taunt cobras.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am

Chance is great; almost Queen-like.

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 am

It's actually a Jon Oliva album with Skolnick's leads and Zak's vocals. Jon does everything else.
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 am

IMO, that was the last really good album they did...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Handful of Rain Empty

I bought the album because Skolnick was on it, but overall it was disappointing...
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 am

Really Spec? All I see is he did some keys and co-produced. Did he do more?
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:33 am

Quote :

You know, you're rarely wrong, but man, epic fail. Handful of Rain Lol
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:34 am

Yeah he played the bass, drums, keys, wrote the thing, etc......

Quote :

Due to the shake-up in the band following Criss's death, the line-ups were somewhat unclear at the time. Drummer Steve Wacholz left the band and did not play on the album, but he is pictured in the album to maintain a more "classic" Savatage line-up. Bassist Middleton was apparently still too much in shock about Criss to go into the studio, but he did do the tour for the album. Jeff Plate did not play the drums on the album, but was pictured as part of the band line-up in one edition of the album. Plate would become a fully-fledged member of the band by the time of their next release, Dead Winter Dead in 1995.[1]
Credited Line-Up

• Zak Stevens - vocals
  • Alex Skolnick - guitar
  • Johnny Lee Middleton - bass
  • Steve Wacholz - drums

Actual Line-Up

• Zachary Stevens - vocals
  • Alex Skolnick - lead guitar
  • Jon Oliva - majority of rhythm guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, drums
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :

You know, you're rarely wrong, but man, epic fail. Handful of Rain Lol

From that point, IMO, they got a little too bombastic...HoR was more "to the point", which I prefer in general anyway. All the albums after this blurred the line between 'Tage & TSO to me. And, IMO, they really reined in Zakk Stevens...he cut loose on HoR and EoT...but after that he sounded like they were trying to make him a Boradway singer...kept him between the lines...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 am

Zakk was great on Edge of Thorns but after that they lost their metal edge and like S said a little too broadway.
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

Yeah, I like a little broadway I guess. What do you think of Poets? It had a more old school feel at points.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

I was going to go to their concert for the Poets tour but it was cancelled because of 911.
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Yeah, I like a little broadway I guess. What do you think of Poets? It had a more old school feel at points.

I remember that one being good, I just haven't heard it in a long time...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 pm

At the time 'Handful of Rain' was released I was very disappointed, I am not sure what I was expecting. Over the years I have grown to like this album alot and especially under the circumstances this CD was created
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 pm

I always loved it. Alone You Breathe is alone worth the price of the CD.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 pm

HoR is my fave Savatage album! 10/10 Handful of Rain 11840
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I was going to go to their concert for the Poets tour but it was cancelled because of 911.
I was fortunate to see them earlier that year on tour. Damond is a good vocalist in his own right. I wonder what he's doing now?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Handful Of Rain is pretty good. The title track,Alone You Breathe and Chance are probably the best songs on it.
Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

"Taunting Cobras" kicks ass! Handful of Rain 11840
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

S wrote:
"Taunting Cobras" kicks ass! Handful of Rain 11840

Thats the one song i like on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 pm

I love HANDFUL OF RAIN. I won't rehash the details here cuz I 'splained it in my entry about this album in the Savatage discography thread, but "Alone You Breathe" holds particularly special meaning for me to this very day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Me like, me like it alot

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:54 pm

I liked it enough when it came out, but overall it didn't blow me away. Lots of more subdued songs, like "Stare Into The Sun" and "Watching You Fall." Obviously there are some brilliant songs—"Chance" and "Handful of Rain" and "Alone You Breathe"—but I always skipped about half the songs on the album.

That was then, though. It's aged well, I think. Or I've matured—that's probably it. "Watching You Fall" is still my least favorite, but even that song I dig. It's a much better album than it's know for being, but it's subtler.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

HoR is a fantastic album. One of my favorites of the Zakk Stevens era.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

You and me both brother. Granted bombasitc broadway like bands don't dominate my library but I enjoy them mainly because my voice fits it perfectly. As far as Poets & Madmen, there isn't much difference between that and JOP IMO. HoR is a great album and I know all the songs by heart. Top favorites are Handful Of Rain, Chance, Stare Into The Sun, Castles Burning, Watching You Fall, and Alone You Breathe (which is one of the best most beautiful ballads ever).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Handful of Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handful of Rain   Handful of Rain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handful of Rain
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next