Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!

Go down 
+4
Shiney
rattpoison
mc666
scottmitchell74
8 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Empty
PostSubject: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 7:13 am

It took me 16 years, but I own my first Skid Row cd. I dismissed them back then because I thought they were just like Poison, Nelson and Co. (the only air-play they got was more or less tame.

Boy was I wrong!! In an effort to expand my LaLa want list I've been researching bands from the past. I kept reading about their 2nd and 3rd releases being pure heavy metal but more or less ignored due to the scourge of Alt. and Grunge. Well, I got Slave To The Grind today and it is killer. VERY heavy - riff city and Bach's vocals are incredible. I've got Subhuman? coming as well and I can't wait!

What other bands in this vein am I missing? Remember, I like it harder (much) or ultra-melodic like Ten or Gotthard these days. Who did I miss out on back then because I avoided "hair" bands like the plague??
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 7:16 am

Slave to the Grind was their best! the self titled debut was good too & i really liked the B-Side Ourselves e.p. covering rush, the ramones, priest, kiss & hendrix

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 7:32 am

Man, the first two Skid Row albums are classics! So killer, both of them! Subhuman Race is a mixed bag. The band was clearly not a well-oiled machine at this point. However, it does contain some great songs. "My Enemy," "Bonehead," "Subhuman Race," and "Into Another" (one of my all-time favorite Skid Row tunes) are all really good. It's a different kind of album, though. Much heavier and punkier, I guess.

Not amazing, but worth the $1.75.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 am

That's cool you just got Slave To The Grind, other so called hair bands that had a tougher more metal sound were:
-Sven Gali
-Every Mother's Nightmare
-Saigon Kick
-Spread Eagle (S/T Debut from 1990 was the nastiest sleaziest metal album made to date, labelled themselves street metal)
-Love/Hate
-Dangerous Toys
-War Babies

Most of these bands were early 90's and got largely ignored, they are all excellent bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Oh yes, Skid Row is a great hair band! But I hope you don't have anything against Poison, as their my favorite in glam/hair!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 2:41 pm

RattPoison's list is a good one....

I'd add:

ROCK CITY ANGELS
SKEW SISKIN
BANSHEE
SEDUCE

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 3:05 pm

Skid Row was one of the first rock bands i got into in the late 80's along with Ratt and for a brief time the first Bulletboys record.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Their 1st 2 albums and the covers EP are fantastic. Subhuman Race was spotty, but still pretty decent, especially for the time when it came out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 8:56 pm

I still break out SLAVE TO THE GRIND now and again, that is a great record. The debut is good too, but a tad overplayed (if I ever hear "18 & Life" or "Youth Gone Wild" again as long as I live, it'll be too soon!) so I rarely listen to that one.

My wife still carries the torch from her teenage crush on Sebastian Bach, by the way. I think she enjoyed VH1's "SuperGroup" more than I did.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 9:02 pm

mc666 wrote:
Si really liked the B-Side Ourselves e.p. covering rush, the ramones, priest, kiss & hendrix

I liked that disc as well. 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 pm

rattpoison wrote:
That's cool you just got Slave To The Grind, other so called hair bands that had a tougher more metal sound were:

-Dangerous Toys

Most of these bands were early 90's and got largely ignored, they are all excellent bands.

One of my favorites. Dangerous Toys ruled! In particular "Pissed" was extremely heavy.

I'll add to that list DIRTY LOOKS and FEAR NOT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 3:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I still break out SLAVE TO THE GRIND now and again, that is a great record. The debut is good too, but a tad overplayed (if I ever hear "18 & Life" or "Youth Gone Wild" again as long as I live, it'll be too soon!) so I rarely listen to that one.

My wife still carries the torch from her teenage crush on Sebastian Bach, by the way. I think she enjoyed VH1's "SuperGroup" more than I did.
I will never get sick of "Youth Gone Wild." That song is just too killer! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 3:45 am

Eyesore wrote:

You obviously didn't grow up in New Jersey, like I did... if I had a nickel for every time I heard a radio DJ say "and now here's our local heroes, Skid Row, with Youth Gone Wild!" ....arrrrrrgh!!! I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! 927150
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 8:51 am

ultmetal wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

-Dangerous Toys

One of my favorites. Dangerous Toys ruled! In particular "Pissed" was extremely heavy.
i'll third this... Dangerous Toys were THE bomb. great sleaze hard rock/metal done in the traditional style!

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You obviously didn't grow up in New Jersey, like I did... if I had a nickel for every time I heard a radio DJ say "and now here's our local heroes, Skid Row, with Youth Gone Wild!" ....arrrrrrgh!!! I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! 927150
That's why I don't listen to the radio. Wink It's poo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!   I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I stand corrected! My Skid Row discovery!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: