Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...

Go down 
+4
manny
325ad
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Empty
PostSubject: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... E8e8be00629c

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-me-doug-fieger15-2010feb15,0,6186924.story?track=rss

Just heard this news on the radio. He was 57 years old and had apparently been battling cancer for some time.

Though I hate to admit it, "My Sharona" was pretty damned catchy back in the day. What I hate is that how many bands nowadays do jokey covers of it (i.e. HammerFall).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Any truth to the rumor that "My" Sharona was a man?

Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Sharona-Alperin

http://www.mysharona.com/

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 9:08 pm

[quote="MetalGuy71"]Any truth to the rumor that "My" Sharona was a man?

Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Sharona-Alperin

http://www.mysharona.com/[/quote]

I heard it was about a Girl!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 am

I have no love for their music but that is too young. RIP.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:09 am

I am not a fan of the Knack at all but 'My Sharona' is a classic.

No 'Sharona' is not a man just a very unattractive lady.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 am

RIP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Ultimate.Nightmare
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ultimate.Nightmare

Number of posts : 96

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:35 am

Without him, we NEVER would have had have to endure Destruction of HammerFall doing a cover of "My Sharona".

I'm not bashing the guy just to be clear.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

The ultimate tribute:

You know you've made it when Alvin and the Chipmunks cover one of your songs. Laughing

And yes, I had this CHIPMUNK PUNK album when I was a wee lad of 9.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Quote :

Me too. They did ripping versions of 'Call Me' by Blondie and 'Refugee' by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as well. I also owned the follow-up album, Urban Chipmunk, a play on the movie 'Urban Cowboy'. Country tunes sung Chipmunk stlye. Ahhhh, good times. Good times indeed.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Me too. They did ripping versions of 'Call Me' by Blondie and 'Refugee' by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as well. I also owned the follow-up album, Urban Chipmunk, a play on the movie 'Urban Cowboy'. Country tunes sung Chipmunk stlye. Ahhhh, good times. Good times indeed.

My brother found our old CHIPMUNK PUNK LP wayyyyy in the recesses of our parents' basement a while back and hung onto it for a goof. Then he sez a couple of his friends came over one night, found it in his stack of records and they went crazy for it, they made him put it on the stereo while they drank beer & played cards. My brother was amazed at how he has all these hundreds of vintage, wicked underground classic metal LPs and yet the only one that his stupid friends wanted to hear was CHIPMUNK PUNK. Haha.

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:57 pm

I remember listening to Casey Casem's 100 greatest songs of 1979 on new years eve 1979 and The Knack's "My Sharona" was the #1 song of 1979. They also had a hit with "Good Girl's Dont", that was the only other song of theirs I remember.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am

I liked the Knack. I know they have been the butt of ridicule for a long time, especially among some camps, but "Get the Knack" was a decent LP. I have a copy of it. I was a fan of the whole power pop movement of the late 70s, and still listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...   Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doug Fieger of The Knack passes away...
Page 1 of 1