Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soul Asylum

Go down 
+11
7thSaviour
Troublezone
Ford.Prefect
Neuropete
thejokeriv
manny
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Addy
Metallic Blaze
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:15 pm

Any fans here of this alternative rock band?

I have "Grave Dancers Union" and take it out and spin it every now and again. Good album.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:25 pm

I just put that album into my rotation

Somebody to Shove and Runaway Train are great tunes
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Unlike longtime fans, I like their "commercial" output more than the earlier works.

I have everything from Grave Dancers on...

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Addy wrote:
I just put that album into my rotation

Somebody to Shove and Runaway Train are great tunes

I just cranked it today. I like every song on it. But "Runaway Train" is easily my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm

Great band!! I love "GRAVE DANCERS UNION" and especially "HANG TIME" from '88.

Some of my college friends used to tell me that I sorta kinda looked like Dave Pirner.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:21 pm

My wife and I listen to the Classic Alternative station on our tv and they play alot from this album I didnt even know we had it till today
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Hang Time is a ridiculously great album, made even more awesome by the fact it's the blueprint for the first Wildhearts album.........
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Soul Asylum love both their indie and commercial era, a great band that I got to see live during the early 80's a few times.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Grave Dancers is a great album!!! Somebody To Shove is an awesome song! Let your dim light shine is good too
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Any fans here of this alternative rock band?

I have "Grave Dancers Union" and take it out and spin it every now and again. Good album.

I haven't listened to Grave Dancers Union, but I like Soul Asylum. They were part of the Minneapolis scene, that also produced the Replacements (whom I LOVE). I also have some of their earlier stuff, that was much, much heavier. They are a pretty good band.
Back to top Go down
Ford.Prefect
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ford.Prefect

Number of posts : 51

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm

I started listening to them more after watching Clerks for the first time years ago. Still love clerks...and soul asylum!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:06 pm

There was one song i liked by them but it was more of a upbeat rocker. I forgot the name of the song but it had a cool guitar intro.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm

I just ordered Soul Asylum's first album, "Say What You Will, Clarence ... Karl Sold the Truck".

Has anyone heard this one? I imagine it's more punky than the one I've got. Looking forward to checking it out.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 am

Oops, I just noticed a mistake on my post. I meant to say I had not listened to Grave Dancer's Union in a WHILE, not that I had never listened to it. Sorry. BTW, just gave it another spin. I still love "Somebody to Push"
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:42 am

I like SA! 9/10
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 1:12 pm

I have them spinning in my car
Back to top Go down

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Addy wrote:

I bet they're dizzy by now.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 2:07 pm

I dunno I just hope they didnt puke in my car
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Addy wrote:

Which album?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:31 pm

One of the best band names ever IMO. Good band as well with there best songs being released as singles IMO. They remind me a lot of The Gin Blossoms for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Does Tom Petty have anything to do with "Runaway Train"?
It's got his mits all over it. Sounds like something he would write.

and what is "Alternative Rock"?

Alternative to what? Does there have to be a tag for everything?
Isn't any rock group an alternative to another rock group? GEEZ!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Alternative rock music is a legitimate genre in and of itself.

From wikipedia ...

Alternative rock (also called alternative music, alt-rock or simply alternative) is a genre of rock music that emerged in the 1980s and became widely popular in the 1990s. Alternative rock consists of various subgenres that have emerged from the independent music scene since the 1980s, such as grunge, Britpop, gothic rock, and indie pop. These genres are unified by their collective debt to the style and/or ethos of punk rock, which laid the groundwork for alternative music in the 1970s.[1] At times alternative rock has been used as a catch-all phrase for rock music from underground artists in the 1980s, and all music descended from punk rock (including punk itself, New Wave, and post-punk).
While a few artists like R.E.M. and The Cure achieved commercial success and mainstream critical recognition, many alternative rock artists during the 1980s were cult acts that recorded on independent labels and received their exposure through college radio airplay and word-of-mouth. With the breakthrough of Nirvana and the popularity of the grunge and Britpop movements in the 1990s, alternative rock entered the musical mainstream and many alternative bands became commercially successful.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 am

Getizzyback wrote:
Does Tom Petty have anything to do with "Runaway Train"?
It's got his mits all over it. Sounds like something he would write.

and what is "Alternative Rock"?

Alternative to what? Does there have to be a tag for everything?
Isn't any rock group an alternative to another rock group? GEEZ!

Alternative to music that sucks. Soul Asylum Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:21 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
They remind me a lot of The Gin Blossoms for some reason.

Funny you should mention that. I used to confuse the 2 alot back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Addy wrote:

Which album?

Grave Dancer's Union? I cant remember the title verbatim but its got Somebody to Shove, Runaway Train

Ive been spinning this alot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Soul Asylum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Asylum   Soul Asylum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soul Asylum
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: