Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club

Go down 
+8
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
snooloui
Smindas
Svengo
Fat Freddy
T-Roy
sheets
12 posters
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Empty
PostSubject: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:26 pm

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-decades-best-metal,35509/

I guess I must be too old-fashioned in my tastes because a lot of these picks do nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 pm

SYSTEM OF A DOWN?! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:11 pm

T-Roy wrote:
SYSTEM OF A DOWN?! Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club 201269

Well, the Onion is supposed to be funny.

Unfortunately, the A.V. Club section is the serious, "legitimate" part of that paper, which means that this list wasn't intentionally funny. Oh well. Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_sad

(Now waiting for Six Pack Thunder Dong to come and b*tch slap me for not recognizing the Genius That Is System of a Down ... haha)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:15 pm

I agree with many of his choices here but certainly not all of them. I'm sure most here would dispute the fact that a couple of bands on this list are even metal but to much of the public Queens of the Stone Age are metal.
There's also the point to consider that this is one guy's personal taste and he clearly says so here:
Quote :
And yes, this list reflects my opinion and my opinion only. I’ve tried to mix it up and include examples from most of the major metal subgenres, but by necessity, this is going to be a big hunk of meat seasoned to my tastes. So keep in mind as you’re preparing your badly misspelled hate-posts that I’m not pretending to be comprehensive. The mere fact that there’s so much room for disagreement about the best metal of the decade reflects exactly how goddamn good the genre is these days.
I wish more on-line writers for well known sites would be this up front.

I know many on this board find it tough to get into bands that didn't get their start in the 70s-80s but there's some good stuff listed here.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Not that much there to my taste, but I do agree with a fair amount of the choices. Especially System of a Down, who I maintain are an incredible band (although only on the fringes of metal).

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Ha it is laughable. On the Queens of the Stone Age album
"...to pound out song after memorable song of superb hard rock"

What? Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club 201269

Great list.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Glad the "experts" weighed in on this.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Perhaphs not metal, but Songs for The Dead (the QOTSA album) is a great record. Has some really fantastic songs on there.

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Quite a few excellent albums on that list.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 3:21 pm

detuned wrote:

I agree with you!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Though I don't agree with all of em, there's quite a bit of good stuff on his list IMO.

I mean, he's got Amon Amarth, Slayer, Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch. Jeez, that's not a bad selection for starters.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Good list. The Amon Amarth album deserves to be on there.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 pm

XYZ wrote:
Good list. The Amon Amarth album deserves to be on there.

For sure!!!

Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club 604261
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 5:11 pm

High On Fire, Earthless, Pelican, Opeth, Isis, Mastodon...I can live with that lineup.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
detuned wrote:

I agree with you!

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

There are a few good albums, but the majority of that list is disgusting to the stomach. Most of that isn't even metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Lurideath wrote:
There are a few good albums, but the majority of that list is disgusting to the stomach. Most of that isn't even metal.

I would say that quite a few of those bands are the direction metal is headed...thankfully the undying fascination with the 1980's has seemed to at least partially have passed...so maybe bands that want to play "heavy music" won't have to be stuck with the same bag of cliches that most groups waving the metal flag have to deal with.

I'm all about experimentation and moving BEYOND the things that have been accomplished in the past. Art that doesn't evolve dies.

We have already had a Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and Slayer and all the other varieties of 80's style metal, I think there is plenty existing bands out there to choose from in that vein and the usefulness of new bands following that path is pretty limited to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club   Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decade's best metal, according to A/V Club
Page 1 of 1