Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pagan Altar

Go down 
+6
sheets
sam
Wargod
nevermore
kmorg
Dave the Boss
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 6:22 am

Ya know guys, I figured it was time to introduce you to one of my all time favorite bands: the mighty Pagan Altar, a band that formed in the mid 70s, released a demo tape in 1982 and then vanished from the earth... until they rereleased their demo on CD in 1998. Since then they have recorded two more full length albums, Lords Of Hypocrisy and Mythical & Magical. Their sound can be described as a rather original mix of Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull, combined that typical early 80s British sound. Some songs are more doom, while others lean towards hard rock and folksy stuff. Here is their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/paganaltar

And a vid a guy from the official fanclub made (which I am of course a member of Pagan Altar Icon_cool), using one of my favorite songs:

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:56 pm

I've heard so much about this band, but this is the first time I hear anything from them musically. Can't say this lives up to the hype. Laughing

I can see how the epic metal fans drool over this though.

Singer with unique voice that is def an acquired taste - Check
Galloping riffs and rhythms - Check
Under par production, that can be labeled as charming - Check
Ban not always in sync with the singer, or eachother - Check

Pagan Altar Lol

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 pm

The more I listen to this, the more it actually appeals to me. Fans of Warlord, Lordian Guard, Tyrant should love this.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 5:30 pm

kmorg wrote:

I can see how the epic metal fans drool over this though.

Singer with unique voice that is def an acquired taste - Check
Galloping riffs and rhythms - Check
Under par production, that can be labeled as charming - Check
Ban not always in sync with the singer, or eachother - Check

Pagan Altar Lol

I agree. But I really liked what I heard. Pagan Altar Lol
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I have Mythical & Magical I love 70's bands as I grew up in the 70's, check out The Lords Of Toth!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:15 pm

singer totally blows it for me, to bad, I liked the music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:23 am

The vocals are indeed an tad different. I love 'em. I wouldn't say there's a hype regarding Pagan Altar though. When I first started listening to them when their reunion album came out (in 2004 I believe) nobody knew them, and although they may have garnered some attention, they totally deserve it after 30+ years.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:09 am

Come on, no other people who dig this?
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 am

I like it. I dig the singer, too. His voice has a lot of character and I don't mean that in a backhanded compliment sort of way Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:43 am

It's not without it's charm. Might sound even better if the singer blew his nose before stepping up to the mic.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
It's not without it's charm. Might sound even better if the singer blew his nose before stepping up to the mic.

But then again, the same could've been said for Ozzy. Pagan Altar Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:19 pm

I recently stumbled upon them and was kinda blown away, that late 70's/early 80's stuff is killer and really detached and in another head space from that whole NWOBHM thing. Witchfinder General are bunch of pansies compared to these guys.

Very atmospheric and cool, actually sounds like those bands that sprung up in the wake of Sabbath in the early 70's like Bedemon, Iron Claw, Wicked Lady etc. Sahb where are you?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:40 pm

It's not bad, I liked it. if they stuck it out in the 80's, they might have been big or even underground legends.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Thease guy's are cool! We played with them in Norway. They hung with us all night...Good bunch of guys...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 am

Yeah, they're great! I'm a member of the Templars fanclub, and I met with up with Terry (the singer), Alan (the guitarist), and Diccon (bassplayer) when they played in Rotterdam in 2007. Really nice guys, had a great time with 'em.

And some useless trivia: Diccon played bass for Dragonforce back in the day. He played on their first CD.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, I found this:

Assjack is Hank Williams III's punk/metal band, and here they're covering a Pagan Altar song. That's pretty strange, in a way. Although it's cool that Hank III covered it, it doesn't hold a candle to the original.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 12:45 am

It makes sense he covered Pagan Altar, he's covered a couple of old 70's Pentagram songs as well. I think maybe Be Forewarned and Forever My Queen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pagan Altar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Altar   Pagan Altar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pagan Altar
Page 1 of 1